Chapter 14

The Captain looked up to see that Major Pattisson had arrived and was waiting outside his door. "You're back on duty, Lieutenant. I'll see you again once I've spoken to the others."

"Yes sir."

Pattisson waited, stiffly polite, for Duran to leave but Ivanov could almost see the hostility emanating from Duran as he passed him. What on earth had occurred between the two men? He hoped it had nothing to do with the case against Fraser, or Morgan for that matter.

"Major, I appreciate your coming," Ivanov said smoothly. "Please have a seat."

"I didn't realise I had a choice," replied Pattisson drily. Then he waved a hand dismissively. "No, no you've every right. Of course you want an explanation, it's your ship." He looked sideways, preparing what he was going to say. He couldn't possibly tell Captain Ivanov everything that had occurred, he was still coming to terms with it himself.

"Firstly, it's purely a personal matter, nothing to do with Fraser or the case." He paused, he found it impossible to say what he had to and look Ivanov in the eye. He looked down at his hands.

"I went to see Lieutenant Alexander in his cabin, and when I came out Duran was standing right outside. He wasn't expecting to see me there and leapt to – uh, rather unfortunate conclusions." He cleared his throat and cast a quick glance at the Captain. He was looking remarkably like someone had cut off his oxygen supply in mid breath, his eyes were staring and his mouth was open.

Pattisson continued hastily. "Well, to get to the point, Lieutenant Duran threw a punch at me and Lieutenant Alexander stepped between us and caught the blow on the side of his head. He fell to the floor and I called a medic. It was obvious Duran was completely devastated by the whole incident."

Pattisson looked at the Captain again. Ivanov was still lost for words. "I think, given what's occurred, I should hand over any decision about Duran's part in the Fraser case to you. I'll excuse myself from the process. It's up to you if you want to impose any sort of penalty on him or not." He got to his feet, "I'll be in my quarters if you need me."

Captain Ivanov finally found his voice. "I am so sorry, Major Pattisson, let me apologise on his behalf. I really don't know what has gotten into Duran, his behaviour lately has been so out of character. Should I send him down to you to apologise in person?"

"No!" Pattisson was aghast. "Sorry, Captain, but I don't think that would be a good idea. Just let it go, Jack is the one who deserves the apology."

His use of Alexander's first name raised a flicker of incredulous suspicion in the Captain's mind. Just what personal business did the Major have to discuss with Alexander in his cabin? He looked sharply at Pattisson who met his gaze blandly, keeping his posture open and relaxed. No, the idea was too preposterous. "Thank you, Major. I'll let you know what I decide about Duran."

Pattisson nodded and then took his leave, he had a lot to think about.

~~~

Ivanov waited for the okay from Roy before heading down to sick bay himself. Fortunately, Alexander was the only patient in the room so that he was able to shut the door and speak privately to him.

"How do you feel?" he asked, looking down at the bruised face.

Alexander attempted a smile. "I've felt better, sir. I'm sorry for ... for all this. It was a personal matter and we should have kept it private, not had a fight in the middle of the corridor!" He gave the Captain a wry glance. "Is the story all around the ship yet?"

The Captain grinned despite himself, "There are several versions, each more lurid than the last." He gave a slight smile, "I must say from my point of view, it was certainly a lot more peaceful around here before you two came out in public."

"Sorry, sir," Alexander apologised again.

"Seriously though, I really can't have this happening again. Do you think you and Duran will be able to keep things professional from now on? At least in public?"

"Yessir!"

Ivanov preferred the upfront approach where possible. "Because if you can't, I will have to consider the possibility of a transfer for one of you. I really don't want to do that, because you are both fine officers and I don't want to lose either of you, but on the other hand, I will do it if I have to." He paused to let the message sink in.

"I still can't believe Duran tried to punch Major Pattisson, no matter whether the reason was 'personal' or not!" he burst out. "Didn't he realise he could have had him court martialled for that? In fact, he still could if he wanted to pursue it. You obviously realised the danger, or you wouldn't have got in the way! I hope he appreciates your loyalty, but he simply can't go around hitting other men for associating with you."

Alexander dropped his eyes. He looked tired and anxious, Ivanov thought a bit guiltily.

"I'll let you rest now, I've said all I'm going to for the moment. I told Duran not to see you until we'd spoken. Do you feel ready to talk to him yet or shall I keep him away a bit longer? He was very upset that he hit you by the way, if that makes you feel any better."

"If it's all right with you, sir, I think I'd rather wait until I'm back on my feet. I need to talk to him in private, we have a lot of things to get clear between us."

The Captain nodded, "I'll see to it."

~~~

Duran swung from one extreme emotion to the other while he was waiting for Jack to say he was ready to see him. Sometimes he dared to hope Jack would give him a chance to change their relationship to one of lovers - he went hot and cold just thinking about that - but mostly he feared he had left it too late, and his friend had already fallen for the Major. And that raised the question of whether Jack would want to continue their friendship, or whether he'd feel too uncomfortable now he knew the way Marc felt about him. He didn't think he could bear it if Jack didn't want to be his friend, he didn't know if he could bear it if he did.

(Please remember to comment if you are enjoying the story - three more chapters to go!)