Chapter 15

Two days later, Marc and Jack stood looking awkwardly at each other in the First Lieutenant's quarters. Jack's cabin held too many unfortunate memories for the moment to consider meeting there.

Jack spoke first, "So was he right? Were you jealous?" He waited, holding everything back until he had the answer. So much depended on what Marc said next.

But Marc couldn't speak for a minute, his eyes were fixed on the ugly bruise on the side of Jack's face. He had been trying to second guess himself all day, wondering what Jack most wanted to hear, but the sight of the bruise knocked everything he had planned to say out of his head. Instead he burst out with, "I am so sorry, Jack!"

He reached out and took Jack in his arms, ready to pour out all the love he was feeling, and then he felt the slight but distinct withdrawal as Jack pulled back, disengaging from the embrace. And that could only mean one thing - Jack didn't want him. He didn't want physical love from him, just friendship. Marc hugged him hard for a split second then very gently let him go.

"Yes I was jealous. Silly, wasn't it? As if you can't have your own ... friends." He made himself smile apologetically. "I guess I was just used to you always being there for me. You haven't had a relationship for so long, it took me by surprise. And being the Major ... after all that's happened between us, well - it threw me."

~~~

Jack looked searchingly at Marc, hoping for something more. All he could see was that rueful smile. He felt so disappointed he could have cried. "So that's all it was then?" He could feel the muscles stiffening in his face, holding the emotionless mask in place.

The jealousy Marc had felt, hadn't been because he realised he was in love with him but only a rather selfish resentment that he had another friend. Thank heavens he'd held him off from a really close embrace. His instant arousal whenever he was in the same room as Marc was becoming an acute embarrassment.

He couldn't bear to stay there any longer. "Well, I'll be going then. I want to catch up with Ethan," he added provocatively, hoping desperately for some sign of outraged possessiveness.

All he got was a rather fixed smile, "Of course. I'll see you later then."

~~~

So, that went well, thought Marc, as the door closed behind his friend.

The mere thought of Jack going to find the Major, was like a dozen knives through his chest. He picked up a chair and threw it against the wall as hard as he could.

~~~

Major Pattisson looked up from his desk and realised Alexander was outside his door, asking to be let in. His heart started thumping. He hadn't seen him to talk to since the encounter in Alexander's cabin. He felt the hot colour rush into his face at the mere thought. Well, he couldn't sit here all night like a teenage girl on her first date. He stood up and let him in.

"How are you, Jack? I'm sorry I didn't come and see you in the infirmary, I just thought it would be too awkward," his words rushed to fill the silence. Then he saw the bruise and winced in sympathy. He stepped up to him and took his face gently in his hands to take a closer look.

"Ouch! Thank you for taking that instead of me – though I'm not sure which of us you meant to protect!" he admitted ruefully.

"Both of you, I think," Alexander confessed. "It doesn't hurt much now." He shut his eyes for a moment, enjoying Pattisson's gentle touch. Although he still ached for Duran, he thought the Major might be an acceptable substitute. At least he knew he wanted him.

"How are you?" he asked, moving closer. "Have you come to terms yet with being an om?"

"I'm getting there," Pattisson said nervously.

"Would you like any help?" They were now standing about a centimetre apart, Pattisson already breathing faster in anticipation of what the other man would do next.

Alexander's amber brown eyes were smiling into his as he reached up and slowly unfastened his uniform, opening it to the waist in one smooth motion. He ran his hands over his naked chest, admiring the muscles that the uniform had hidden. "Mmm. Nice," he murmured.

Pattisson shivered in response as Alexander touched him, sliding his hands around the bare skin to his back. He pulled him hard against his own body, opening his mouth to the kiss he was already leaning forward to give him.

"You may want to think about setting the privacy seal," Alexander whispered.

"God yes," Pattisson was staggered he hadn't even thought of it, he had been so taken up in the moment. He activated the seal then turned back to Alexander. He couldn't believe this was happening, Alexander wanting him as much as he wanted him. He had been certain he was in love with Duran.

Their mouths met in a fierce exchange. Then he nearly jumped out of his skin as Alexander pushed his hand down, right inside the front of his uniform. Alexander wrapped his fingers possessively around him.

Was he ready for this, did he want to take their relationship to the next level? Sweet god yes, he was so ready. He was already hard, jutting up into Alexander's hand.

Pattisson's fingers trembled as he tried to undo Alexander's uniform, he wanted to touch him too. "I think I'm falling in love with you."

The words came out of their own accord and instantly he could tell he'd said the wrong thing. Alexander withdrew his hand in a flash and leapt away from him. Pattisson could only stand there wide-eyed and silent, waiting for Alexander to tell him what he'd done wrong.

"My god I'm a selfish bastard! I'm so sorry, Ethan, I didn't realise. But I should have, it's your first time, of course you were going to take it more seriously," Alexander looked equally devastated. He went on, "I wasn't expecting you to fall in love with me. I just thought I could introduce you to sex and we'd have a good time together."

Pattisson swallowed, trying to recover. "I know it's too soon - but - you don't think you could ever love me back? If I gave you time?"

Alexander was shaking his head. "No, I'm sorry. I'm in love with someone else."

"Duran?" Pattisson needed to know.

"Yes." Alexander didn't lie to him. "But it's not going anywhere, I've waited for years for him to want more than friendship, but now I have to face up to the fact it's never going to happen and move on with my life. That's why I thought I'd venture a relationship with you, but I can't offer you love."

He apologised again. "I'm sorry, Ethan. You have the right to be very angry with me."

Pattisson shut his eyes for a moment, then let out a great breath of air. "No, I don't think so. I was the one who approached you the other day and started this. You've never made any commitment to me, it's not your fault if I want more."

He refastened his uniform carefully, before looking back at Alexander. "I think we've lost the moment here, but could you just hold me for a minute?"

(... two more chapters to go... comments, anyone?  Will Jack truly give up on Marc?)