Chapter 16

Chapter 16

**Louis' POV**

~ 20 minutes earlier ~

I was standing at my locker with Zayn when I suddenly heard a loud yell.

"Shut up!"

I glanced in the direction of where the voice had come from only to see Harry, sitting with his head in his hands on the floor a few yards away. Only a few seconds later, he got up and sprinted past me, out of the building.

I didn't know what to do. Every part of my body wanted to run after him, to see if he was okay, or if there was something wrong, but something told me I couldn't.

You're with Zayn now, you can't run after him.

But I loved him! I couldn't just stop doing that!

With a frustrated sigh, I leaned my forehead against the locker.

"You coming, babe? The bell is going to ring in a few seconds," Zayn said with a small smile on his lips.

I nodded. Zayn and I didn't have many lessons together, just like me and Harry, just Maths, P.E. and civics, and right now we had Maths. I took Zayn's hand and together, we started walking towards the classroom.

On our way there, we caught more than half of the school staring at us when we passed them. It was rather creepy, to be honest. Some of them even leaned in to their friend and whispered something in their ear. However, I could only hear what one of them said. "How could Zayn want to be together with that fag? And how is it even possible that Zayn is gay?!" My reaction was to furrow my eyebrows and look down at the floor.

The bell had yet to ring once we were standing outside the classroom. I was just about to turn to Zayn when I was suddenly pinned to the wall. "Lou, are you alright? I heard what some of them said... just ignore them, okay?" Zayn mumbled, his breath fanning my face.

I nodded, smiling cautiously.

"Good."

He leaned in so close that our lips were only centimeters apart, and I panicked. We hadn't kissed yet. I hadn't kissed anyone in my entire life, for God's sake! I always wanted my first kiss to be with Harry... that I would never have it, that is. But I wanted it to be that way! I couldn't do this. "Zayn, I'm sorry, I can't do this. I'm so sorry," I said, placing my hands on his chest and pushing him away a little.

He sighed heavily. "I'm sorry Lou, I shouldn't have gone that f—"

"No, Zayn," I cut him off. "It's not your fault, and when I say I can't do this, I mean that I can't do this with you. I'm sorry, but I don't think I can be together with you. I always think about Harry. It's always him, and it has always been him. I know he won't ever love me back, but I can't move on from him, I just can't. I would rather end up alone than be with someone else. Please forgive me." I shook my head, feeling tears welling up in my eyes.

Zayn took a deep breath. "I know, Lou. I knew you would make this decision sometime. Maybe I didn't expected it to happen this soon, but I knew it would eventually. It's just, I wish I was him you know?" he whispered, tears pricking his eyes.

Right then, the bell rang. He stepped away from me and started heading for the classroom, but before he could do so, I grabbed his arm firmly. "Wait Zayn, please. God, I'm so truly sorry for everything. I shouldn't have dragged you into this. I should've made my mind up earlier. You don't deserve someone like me. You deserve someone that loves you, someone who wants to be with you for the rest of their life. Before we got together, I didn't know you were such a sweet person. I thought you were an angry, stupid jerk. I'm really sorry for thinking that, but what can I say? You were bullying me," I chuckled through the tears that were running down my cheeks. "The thing is, you are such a caring person who cares for the ones you love, and I want you to stay that way. Please promise me that?"