ONE (EDITED)

FOUR MONTHS EARLIER

I sit perched on my small couch, staring at the phone

I've barely had time to unpack anything or put anything into place because I've been staring at my damn silent phone for the past thirty minutes. l've been in my new apartment for three hours and all I've been doing is wait for the stupid phone call.

My eyes flick to the clock. It's six thirty. Weren't they supposed to call at six?

I sigh and stand up. I might as well unpack to pass the time.

Just as I open a box holding some of my clothes, my phone burst into a song and I scramble for it. I practically jump over the couch, accidentally knocking my phone onto the ground, uttering "shit" under my breath as I slide it open, catching my breath.

"Hello?" I answer breathlessly.

"Hello, Miss Knight? This is Marion Johnson from Crystal Publishing."

My heart leaps to my throat. "Yes, hello."

"I'm calling to inform you that your interview went well the other afternoon and you got the position. Congratulations." The woman, Marion, on the other line, sounds smooth and businesslike.

I try to match her tone. "Thank you very much," I manage to say without sounding too over-excited.

"You begin Monday, where you'll be assigned a desk and meet with your boss, Mr. Greeman. I look forward to seeing you around the office. Have a lovely day."

With that, she hangs up.

I make sure my phone is completed locked before jumping up into the air, flailing around in a twisted victory dance. This is the job I've been dreaming of since I was a teenager, and now I've finally got it.

I quickly pick up my phone and dial Aaron's number.

"Aaron," l gush into the phone. "I got it. I got the job!"

I hear him sigh. "Rose, honey, I'm at work."

I instantly deflate. "But...I got the job. The job I've always wanted...forever."

"And I'm happy for you," he says. "But I have to really run, duty calls-"

"All right, fine."

"Don't be mad, Rosie. I'll take you out tonight, how about that?"

A small smile makes its way onto my face. "Okay."