Correspondence

"The style of the letter was much above her expectation. There were not merely no grammatical errors, but as a composition it would not have disgraced a gentleman; the language, though plain, was strong and unaffected, and the sentiments it conveyed very much to the credit of the writer. It was short, but expressed good sense, warm attachment, liberality, propriety, even delicacy of feeling. She paused over it, while Harriet stood anxiously watching for her opinion, with a "Well, well," and was at last forced to add, "Is it a good letter? or is it too short?""
[Emma, by Jane Austen]

In a time where there were no telephones, emails, SMS or social media, people shared details of their everyday life by writing frequent letters. Corresponding with friends and family was an important part of life during the 19th century, and being able to write a good letter was considered a vital accomplishment for men and women.

As Jane Austen wrote to her sister in January 1801:

"I have now attained the true art of letter-writing, which we are always told is to express on paper exactly what one would say to the same person by word of mouth. I have been talking to you almost as fast as I could the whole of this letter."

Letters were sent regularly to friends and family members, informing them of the latest news and gossip. It was not unusual to begin writing a new letter to someone just after sending the last, adding extra news as things happened over a couple of days while waiting for a reply to your previous letter.

Landowners also sent written instructions back to their estates while they were in London, and often conducted business by letter.

The etiquette of reading and writing letters

"Miss Portman," said she, "I hope your politeness to me does not prevent you from reading your letter? Some ceremonious people think it vastly rude to read a letter in company; but I am not one of them: I can write whilst you read, for I have fifty notes and more to answer. So pray read your letter at your ease."
[Chapter 14, Belinda, by Maria Edgeworth]

While some thought it bad manners to read a private letter while in company, it was quite acceptable to share the contents of a letter out loud to family or friends, if it included nothing of a personal nature. Those who lived in London, or were visiting the capital, were expected to write frequently with details of the latest society gossip, and the most up to date trends in fashions. When received, their letter would then be quoted from when visitors came to call, passing news and information around the neighbourhood.

It was considered good manners to reply to a letter from a friend or family member as soon as possible, and a matter of pride for a lady to keep up to date with her correspondence.

Letter writing was the preserve of the middle and upper classes. To produce a letter you needed the education to be able to write. You then had to buy the paper, which was sold for up to one shilling per quire. (a quire was a pack of 24 sheets)

The person you were writing to also had to be able to afford the cost of the postage, as it was paid for by the recipient, rather than the sender. If you were sending a letter locally, it was considered good manners to dispatch it by servant, rather than through the post, so the addressee did not have to pay unnecessary postage.

It was not considered polite to send social letters to people you had not previously been introduced to in person. If you did write to a stranger, they were under no obligation to reply to you.

Letters of ceremony were sent to friends and family to advise them of important family news, such as the birth of a child, an upcoming wedding, or the death of a family member. Letters of congratulations or condolence would normally be returned on receiving the news.