Birthdays

"Awake! arise! this natal day 
Demands a prompt and ardent lay;
Happiest lover, rise and twine

A garland for thy Emeline."
[Lines addressed to a friend on the birthday of Emeline, The Annual Review and history of Literature, pub. 1809]

In the 18th and 19th centuries, Birthdays or sometimes birth-days were also known as a person's Natal day. Natal means "of or pertaining to birthdays". Because we make a fuss of people on their birthdays now, it can be difficult for us to imagine that many people living in the Regency era didn't all mark birthdays as we would.

Some would not have known their exact birth date. Before birth certificates were issued in 1837, there was no official written record of a birth, unless it happened to be included as part of the baptism record kept at the local church. Even then, dates of birth were only recorded if the clergyman was particularly efficient in his duties, as that information wasn't required by the church at that time.

In some families, a parent would write the dates of their children's births in the front page of the family bible, but for those who were illiterate, a child's birthdate could easily fade from memory. The day and/or month might be remembered, while the year was forgotten. It wasn't unusual for people to believe they were two or three years older or younger than they were. They would calculate their ages based on how much older or younger they were compared to their siblings.

"In the gradual desuetude of old observances, this custom of solemnizing our proper birth-day hath nearly passed away; or is left to children, who reflect nothing at all about the matter, nor understand any thing in it beyond cake and orange."
[The London Magazine, pub. January 1821]

Examples of birthday celebrations in books of the time seem to focus on children, young men celebrating their twenty-first birthday, and elder members of society who have lived an unusually long life. Others may have recognised their birthday during this time period, but only in a very modest way.

Even families with children did not always do anything special to keep, or celebrate, their birthdays:

"And, mother," added Rosamond, stopping her as she was going out of the room, "will you--not now, but when you've time--will you tell me why you never keep my birthday--why you never make any difference between that day and any other day?"

"And will you, Rosamond--not now, but when you have time to think about it--tell me why I should make any difference between your birthday and any other day?"

Rosamond thought, but she could not find out any reason; besides, she suddenly recollected that she had not time to think any longer; for there was a certain work-basket to be finished, which she was making for her cousin Bell, as a present upon her birthday. "
[The Birthday Present, The Parent's Assistant, by Maria Edgeworth]

How would a birthday be celebrated?

Children of working age (sometimes as young as five years old) would still have to work to earn vital funds. However, those in more fortunate circumstances might be allowed time off from their lessons:

"Lessons upon your birthday! do you really, actually, learn lessons to-day?" exclaimed both the Somersets, in a tone of unaffected surprise.

"Oh yes, certainly; we never think of missing them," rejoined Anna, running away.

But Caroline and Emily were not so easily satisfied. "How very curious," said they. "Indeed, Miss F., though we have not been used to do much at home at any time, yet upon our birthdays we were always allowed to enjoy ourselves as much as we pleased. Mamma always allowed us to do just what we liked; and many young ladies of our acquaintance in town never learn any lessons upon their birthdays."
[A Visit to Grove Cottage, by Sarah Atkins, pub. 1823]