Chapter 4

Julie swung through the jungle on her way back to the treehouse she shared with Kainak.

It took a hearty individual to survive in Pōmaikaʻi's jungle. There were members of the Teo who lived in the wild over the years, and Julie and Kainak were honorary members of the tribe, taking part in this tradition. So no, it has nothing to do with them being "superior civilized folk." That's a... problematic reason.

But the fact that they've not only survived, but thrived, in this harsh environment is still praise-worthy. Tarzan and Mowgli would be proud.

Once she found her footing, it was easy for her to climb up the tree and to the top, where she looked out over the green expanse of trees extending out for miles, ending at the blue of the Pacific Ocean and the grey cliffs in the distance. The treehouse, from what she could tell, was a kilometer to the south.

There we go!

She quickly climbed down, but carefully. She'd slipped once on a shorter tree, but that adrenaline that coursed through her arteries was... not pleasant. It may have been a quick drop before Kainak caught her, but she'd never been more frightened in her life, and this was after being chased by a predatory cat that led her to being saved by Kainak—and thus how this whole thing started.

Once she got down, she pulled out her compass—no one was that stupid just to drop it—and found her way south. She adjusted her bag and pressed on.

It took half an hour before she reached the three house. A rope ladder had been rolled up to discourage anyone. It just took a climb up to another tree to get up. She jumped off the thick branch and onto the porch of the treehouse.

It was a simple, two-story abode that was perfect for a jungle couple. It was stripped down, with only a few electronics, but no TV and no running refrigerator. There were two battery-powered radios, one to listen to music with and a HAM radio. It was also stocked with books, ranging from To Kill a Mockingbird to Tarzan to Harry Potter and several John Steinbeck novels. Kainak had kept these after the shipwreck that left him here on Pōmaikaʻi.

Their bedroom, on the second story of this humble abode, is just as bare-boned, save for a bed and the bookcase, but a fantastic view of the rainforest. And there was something on this bed (covered by a mosquito net).

It was a sword. Now, technically, this is like bringing an invasive species into the game, what with nobody on the island even capable of making a sword except a researcher. Of course, the researchers also brought guns, so it's not like she's holding a nuke on her hands.

It was a hand-and-a-half sword with a three-foot blade. She wanted it because after having to use a machete against monkeys and Oranta the Monkey Queen, she needed a new weapon. Indeed, the note tied to it told her only to use it in the case of an emergency.

And she's not the kind of person to go back on that promise.

Living close to/in nature allowed them to enjoy the simple things in the world, like a sunset over an untouched tropical rainforest—Spirits know just how many of those are left on this planet.

Julie sat on the bed with a book in her hand, her bare feet dangling and kicking while she read how Tarzan saved Jane from the clutches of La, Queen of Opar. While she and Jane shared some similarities, it was only the movie and Disney Jane that she had the most similarities to. Book Jane wanted Tarzan/Lord Pōmaikaʻi to be civilized. Movie and Disney Jane wanted to stay with Tarzan. It wasn't until later that Jane became the Queen of the Jungle in the books. For someone used to the jungle girl portrayal of Jane, it can be pretty confusing.

It's one thing to assume that since most jungle girls and boys are pretty mayo, it's a racist concept.

On the contrary.

It's only been the last 2,000 years that Europeans have moved away from old pagan ideals, where they were aware of how close to nature they were. Christianity—or perhaps Greco-Roman civilization—ended that, separating humans from nature. This is because, according to doctrine, God created the animals first and then the humans to have dominion over them. Again, it might not be so clear-cut. That's not to say there aren't Christian environmentalists, of course, there certainly are.

As Europeans became more urbanized, the separation between humans and animals only widened. Concepts like the wild child have tapped into that old, pagan ideal as well as our wild side. Humans are animals; after all, we tend to forget that sometimes. These concepts are universal, from African tribes to Native Americans to the Polynesians. Sadly, some of the early contributors to the genre had different values that we modern folk have.

Anyway, we are getting back to the story.

"Kainak?" she called. "Are you home, sweetie?"

"I'm here!" Kainak called. "Outside!"

Julie looked up and saw Kainak hanging from a rope outside, and he must have been working on something outside because he had a couple tools in his hand. She strode over to the window and stuck her head out, calling, "I have something I want to show you!"

"Okay!" Kainak called back.

Julie ran downstairs as Kainak lowered himself down to the front patio and was inside when Julie glomped him, almost knocking him off his feet. "Take it easy!" Kainak said.

"Sorry," she said.

"What is it you wanted to show me?" he asked.

She pulled the pressings out of her bag to hand to Kainak. He looked them over. She could see the surprise and interest in his expression. "What does it mean?" he asked.

"No idea," she said. "I think it tells a story."

"Where'd you find these?"

Julie sighed but resigned herself to the truth. He wasn't honest with her earlier, so she might as well do the opposite—be frank with him. "After I left the beach, I picked up a charcoal stick and a notepad from the researchers," she began. "And then I went to the ruins."

He dropped the papers. They fluttered down to the floor, which would have been more dramatic if they were actual rocks she took from the ruins. Julie knew that this wasn't a right subject for Kainak, and his bulging eyes were louder than any word.

"WHY?" he asked.

"I was curious," she replied.

"And you went behind my back!?"

"I just told you the truth!" she replied. "At least I was upfront and honest from the beginning, and—"

"Julie, THOSE RUINS ARE CURSED!" Kainak shouted. "I DO NOT WANT YOU GOING ANYWHERE NEAR THOSE!"

"YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!" she fired back. "I WANTED TO HELP YOU!!!"

"WELL YOU DIDN'T!" Kainak shouted. "AND YOU DID IT WITHOUT FUCKING TELLING ME!"

"I JUST TOLD YOU!"

"YOU SHOULD HAVE TOLD ME BEFORE!"

"AT LEAST I'M HONEST!"

"SOMETHING COULD HAVE HAPPENED TO YOU!"

"NOTHING HAPPENED!"

Kainak was taken aback. "What?"

"Nothing happened," she said. "I stepped onto the ruins, looked around and didn't die."

"How is that—"

"Kainak, I told you, curses aren't real," she said. "It's all in your mind."

"Were you scared?"

"Obviously," she said. "I mean, that kind of reputation kinda scares you."

"Okay," he said.

"Kainak, I'm sorry I worried you," she said while tenderly and intimately stroking his smooth cheek. "I just wanted to help you get over your fear of that place."

"Thanks," Kainak said, laying his forehead on hers. "And I'm sorry I yelled at you."

"Sorry I yelled at you too," she said. "And you're welcome."

The Jungle Couple held each other tightly for the next several minutes, content to be in each other's arms and silently forgiving each other for blowing up at the other.

The perfect couple isn't completely perfect, but if you work things out, you will have a long, healthy, loving relationship. And Julie and Kainak are going to have that.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

It took some time, but RF and Phillip came across a village in the middle of a vast, open area near the center of the island. Here, they could see the cliffs and bluffs of the island much more clearly, and it was a relief to finally escape the jungle's stifling heat and humidity. Phillip broke out in goosebumps all over and in a specific region, which actually felt... kind of nice.

RF took a deep breath and a sigh. "AAH, fresh air!" he said. He stood tall and proud like he wanted people to look at him and his manly perfection, and that includes EVERY part of his body. Beating his chest, he laughed in that same disturbing way.

He wrapped his arm around Phillip, who tried to back away.

"Come on, son, it's not that bad," he said. "We're living the way the Gods intended us to live; wild, naked and free!"

"That's not what I mean," said Phillip.

"Son, let me tell you, there is nothing wrong with being gay," said RF. And remember, just because the bad guy is saying it doesn't make it any less accurate. The author certainly believes in LGBT rights and tries to include LGBT representation in any way I can, especially if it fits the themes of the story (but I'm not about to tokenize LGBT folk). It won't matter in the long run, and this is a little bit of trivia, but Julie MIGHT be bisexual, although that's another story for another day. RF may be evil, but he's still right. "I'm not gay, but if you are, I respect that, and I'll support you, no matter what."

"Why are we here?" Phillip asked.

"Son, this is the Village of the Exiled," said RF.

The Village of the Exiled is just what the name implies. Here, wretched folks from the Teo, Paea, and Pele Tribes come after being exiled either by force, by choice, or other reasons. People who could not fit into their societies, even if there are outsiders in all societies who get by just fine, even in the Teo, Paea, and Pele.

But these poor, wretched souls mixed with criminals--petty thieves, murderers, and others. And yet, they all co-existed in this village in some strange synergy and harmony. The one thing that united all of them was their self-loathing, misery at their lot in life, and deep-seated anger at the societies that shunned them and turned them away. Even when it was their fault, they commiserated over their shared experiences of hardship and pain.

Upon entering the village, no one noticed the two naked, fit haoles. All of them, men, women, and children, sat around, wallowing in their self-pity. Even when they did something productive, the misery could easily be read in their actions: slowly stirring the pot of bland gruel, lethargically chopping coconuts into two pieces, and the guards leaning against the entrance as if they didn't care about who they were guarding, or why they were guarding them.

"This place is miserable," said Phillip.

"And all the more ready for me," said RF.

He walked through the wretched bastards to the middle of the leaderless lot. He made a motion with his hands and was raised higher than the villagers, which caught their attention. Phillip walked up behind him to join him on this podium.

RF's disturbing smile widened as the wretched gathered around him. "Friends! Lonelymen! Lend me your ears!" he called. "You can call me... RF. I see what's wrong. You've all been kicked out by the only homes you've ever known. And you have no idea what to do anymore! I know, I know, you don't like to be reminded. But please, hear me out.

"You see, I'm here to help!" the villagers murmured. "I know what you want and need—a leader! Well, I know you're not just going to accept me all willy-nilly, but I just want you to know, I wanna help you! ALL of you! And you there, Mr. Leprosy man!"

A man suffering from leprosy lifted his head and looked at him. He did not look good. His disfigured face was covered in bumps and boils, he raised his hand, the fingers of which were reduced to simple stubs, and his legs looked to be in such agony that just getting on his badly-diseased knees seemed to hurt. The other villagers recoiled from him, gasps erupting, and they turned away.

RF stepped down from the podium and walked up to the man. He placed his hand on the leprosy victim's face, and a blue glow emanated from his fingertips. The villagers watched in amazement as the man's leprosy was healed entirely. He looked like a new man, and his fingers, once stubs, were now long and healthy.

The man worshipfully bowed before RF, but RF rubbed his hair.

Many of the villagers were impressed. But RF could see some people who were neither impressed nor worshipping. They were skeptical of him, and not just for his healing. He could see it in their eyes: they did not trust him. Who was this haole who came to their village unannounced, proclaiming that he wanted to be their leader?

"We don't need a leader!" one called. "Who do you think you are to come in here and act like you're entitled to lead us? I don't like you, stranger! Now LEAVE!"

Phillip looked at the man and back at RF, who was making a "he's got a point" gesture with his head and shrugging. "We're not going to win all of them over," he said. "If you don't want to follow me, that's fine! All we're looking for are a few volunteers who want to change their lives for the better! You don't need those naysayers who doubt us! Let them go somewhere else!"

That was enough for the one man who stood up to him. No, he did not leave. Instead, he marched forward, his face contorted in anger. "I said LEAVE!" he said. "I will NOT bow to the likes of you! You who proclaim yourself better than everyone just because of the color of your skin. You who treats us like ants looking for leadership. I say, NO!"

"Better watch yourself," RF warned. Phillip could detect irritation in RF's voice. And it made him recoil more than his smile. "Take one more step and I'll—"

"Or you'll what?"

RF had no answer, and the man knew it. The wretched of the village looked up him again. "And what will you do to me?" RF asked.

The man had no answer, and both he and RF knew it. The crowd booed and jeered the man, but RF held his hands out to calm them.

"Now, now," he said. "He has a right to his opinions; it's only fair."

The man didn't like RF's tone and turned away.

"Anyone who wants to follow me, let it be known," RF continued. "If you don't want to, you can stay here. We'll be leaving this village for a new home in the jungle. And I can assure you that we will rebuild."

The reaction from the wretched and exiled was almost unanimous. The ones willing to follow clamored up to RF, throwing their arms to him and chanting for his leadership. RF held his hands out again, smiling and turning around, and so did Phillip, although he was more amazed at the exaltation RF was receiving rather than receiving it himself. The stragglers and critics looked around in dismay, returning to their huts so they could live in peace.

RF waved his arm to beckon his new followers to come with him, jumping down to the ground and walked out of the village. The crowd followed, chanting his leadership and name. They were like ants to RF's ant queen. He had them in the palm of his hand, and he knew it, looking down at it, clenching and unclenching it as if he wasn't used to the power he held in his hands right now.

But Phillip was not happy. Although he followed RF, he looked dissatisfied and even angry. And there's a reason for that.

"You're going to let him LIVE!?" Phillip stage-whispered into RF's ear. "He could—"

"We have more important things to worry about," said RF. "Your little jungle girl went to my old playground earlier."

"And you didn't possess her!?"

"I have things perfectly under control," said RF. "Leave the jungle girl alone. She'll be dealt with. We need her to lower her guard."

"I hope you know what you're doing," said Phillip.

"Of course I do," said RF. "Besides, what can she do? She's just a jungle girl."