Chapter 2- The plan

-W-what? The Dark Moon pack? Why? I thought they were allies??

I couldn't believe what my father's mouth had just said.

-Apparently King Alpha Darrien isn't willing to share power with the rest of the Royal Families. I have already spoken to the King and Alpha of the Full Moon pack, they are going to help us, as well as the smaller packs in theirs and our territories. The Summer Moon and Moon Rising pack have declared themselves neutral unless we bother them or intrude their territory. This battle has been a warning, but I'm afraid that the Dark Moon pack has decided that only they can rule. We are heading to the Full Moon pack territory, as it seems that it is no longer safe to remain here, we can't risk ourselves.

I frowned.

-Risk ourselves? We are by far stronger than the Dark Moon pack, even with their smaller packs, they wouldn't even reduce our number of warriors.

-Yes, my dear, we have very well trained warriors, they are strong, however, we weren't prepared for such events as the one that took place tonight. We need to train ourselves again, grow strength and reorganize.

My frown deepened.

We hadn't visited the Full Moon pack in a long time, I was ten years old the last time we went there. I did remember there were two princes, Cedric, who would be 21 already, and Derreck, who should be 17 by now. It's been eight years since then, however. I wouldn't be able to recognize them now.

I had turned eighteen just last week, and I had decided on just a small party with some of my closest friends.

-Kaylie, are you alright sweetheart?- I heard my father's voice call to me.

-Yes, I-I'm alright, I g-guess... When shall we be leaving?- I straightened myself and returned to my formal attitude.

-By dawn we should be already on our way, so go and get ready. We won't be long before leaving.

With that I left, hurrying my way to the shelter, where my mom waited for me with a couple of bags ready. I was hardly panting or sweating, even though I had ran for almost a mile non-stop. Hurray for werewolf abilities!

-Mom.- I bowed a bit to her before taking the bags into my hands. What was with all the bowing you might wonder? It was just teasing and messing around with my parents, they hated when their own pups treated them as Alpha and Luna, King and Queen, other than their parents.

-Kaylie! What have I told you about the bowing? I'm your mom! - I could see she was a bit hurt.

-Geez, mom, I was only joking...- I reached for her with my arms in some sort of hug, considering that I was holding two big bags.- Anyway, we should be going, dad is going to go crazy soon.

"Kaylie! Hurry up! We are leaving already!" Shawn's voice echoed through my mind. Damn these family mind links.

"I heard that."

Oops. Sorry not sorry. I grinned, knowing he was able of listening to that too.

-Mom, the pack is leaving already, we better hurry up and catch up with them.- I started running through the woods, my wolf willing to be released and run. Too bad for her, I was carrying the bags. I felt the soft footsteps of my mom behind me.

"Please! Let me run! I want to run!"

"Later, calm yourself down, we're supposed to arrive safely and without leaving a path!"

"But Kay..."

"No buts, Lex."

She remained quiet for the rest of the way, until we arrived with the rest of the pack. Yeah, our pack probably consisted on at least two hundred members, so... We are pretty much the second largest pack out of the five kingdoms and rouge packs.

Actually, I never did understand how there could be a pack this large... Before the Great War, packs would usually consist of fifty members or less.

"Kay!! Please!! I need to run!! Just a few minutes!!" my wolf, Lexi, whimpered.

"Alright, I'll ask for permission first, don't wanna get in trouble."

I turned around to check on my mom, which was obviously unnecessary taking in mind she was the Luna and Queen of the pack, our 3rd in command and five more warriors were already surrounding her.

"Mom, do you think dad would let me shift? Lexi is a mess..."

"Hey!"

"Oh please Lex! You know you are a mess..."

"And you loooveee me, don't you?"

"Do you wanna go for a run or what?" she growled, but waited for my mom's response. I smiled.

-Dear, you don't have to ask, go behind those trees and shift, but don't go too far, we don't want you to get lost, understood?- she answered out loud.

My smile grew even more, I had to admit I was longing for a run too.

I immediately took shelter behind a large tree and started undressing myself. I shifted.

My bones cracked and popped, fur began growing from my skin, claws began emerging in the place of my fingers. Suddenly I was on four paws, feeling free and powerful. I admired my white fur. White fur that only my parents, brother and I had in our whole pack.

I growled in satisfaction, and took my clothes with my mouth and started running all around the woods, sometimes going around the pack members, giving them playful growls, making them laugh at their princess's childish behavior.

Crack!

My ears popped straight at the sound of a branch breaking, and the sound came from somewhere deep in the woods not from the path we were following. I seemed the only one to hear it, but I didn't lower my guard. Just in case.