FORTY YEARS EARLIER: The Relic Guild (part 1)

There had been a time, in the distant past, when the Houses of the Aelfir were feudal and war-torn

There had been a time, in the distant past, when the Houses of the Aelfir were feudal and war-torn. Their cultures, steeped in history, rich in resources, had been undermined by doubt and mistrust, scarred by battles that raged across the realms. None of them could remember the cause of the disharmony, none of them could answer why it was they continued to fight. Yet as generations passed the feuds grew ever more bitter, as each House fought for domination of its neighbours. So blinded had the Aelfir become by their nameless hatred, they refused to see there could never be a victor. For their lust for dominance had reached an impasse centuries ago.

Yet salvation was at hand.

In the far and ineffable realm of Mother Earth, the Timewatcher's all-seeing eye had been drawn to the stalemate. She found shame in the conduct of the Aelfir  – that not one House among them could even consider so alien a concept as peace. So stuck were they in their ways, they did not recognise the bright future they could so easily fashion; the strong alliances they could form, the ancient cultures they could share, and the trade and immense riches they could enjoy together. So the Timewatcher, terrible in her power, generous with her kindness, journeyed from Mother Earth to show the Aelfir another way.

She brokered a fragile truce by creating for them a new realm that served as a neutral ground where all the Houses were welcome. She called this realm the Great Labyrinth, and to this place she summoned every House chief. For the first time in centuries, the Aelfir engaged in dialogue. Encouraged by the Timewatcher, they listened to each other, and started to understand the futility of their feuds. It was not an easy period, but the Houses slowly began extending hands of friendship.

Of all the Timewatcher's children, Her most beloved were the Thaumaturgists, mighty and proud creatures of higher magic. The love and devotion the Thaumaturgists gave their Mother was without compromise, and never did they question Her word. She charged them with the duty of watching over the Aelfir, to protect them, to guide and nurture, but never to rule over and dominate them, for that was not the Timewatcher's plan. With gentle benevolence, She bade the Thaumaturgists to not interfere as the new friends built their bright future, and to never seek personal gain. There was to be no other benefit than ensuring harmony throughout all the realms.

            Lastly, on each House of the Aelfir, the Timewatcher bestowed the gift of a doorway. Through these doorways, whenever they chose, each House might enter Labrys Town, the new common ground at the centre of Great Labyrinth – to meet and trade, to grow rich and strong. And The Timewatcher left them to make of themselves what they would.

For a thousand years the Aelfir met in peace at the Labyrinth.

But there came a day when one arose among the Thaumaturgists who dared to question the Timewatcher's directive. His name was Spiral, and he was revered among the creatures of higher magic. He could not accept that the Aelfir should be allowed to make their own laws and systems of government. Why should they reap all that they sowed, grow fat on their riches, while offering nothing back to the Timewatcher who had given them everything, who had saved them from such a miserable existence? The Timewatcher told Spiral, in no uncertain terms, that the love given by the Aelfir to Her, and Her Thaumaturgists, was reward enough. He was not to forget that. Or question Her again. The Aelfir and the Thaumaturgists were equals, She said.

Something changed in Spiral that day; his faith in his Mother waned, his love was compromised by resentment. And he turned his darkening thoughts to the Great Labyrinth.

The common ground, the meeting place, the realm that linked all realms – the Great Labyrinth was intrinsic to the status quo. But had the Timewatcher given custody of such a powerful House  to creatures of higher magic? Or were the greatest and wisest Aelfirian politicians given rule of Labrys Town? No, She had given the House to humans, the lowest of all castes. Only Spiral seemed to recognise the deep insult of bestowing upon them this lofty position.

If the Great Labyrinth was ruled by the Thaumaturgists, they would be able to reach out with an iron fist, touch every House at once, and bend the Aelfir to their rule. They would punish ingratitude and greed by imposing servitude and taking the riches they were rightfully due by force. As for the humans ... what part could they play in any plan?

The Timewatcher's eye was all-seeing, it was said, but She was blind to Spiral's growing hatred. She did not foresee that others among Her Thaumaturgists sympathised with him; she did not know there were Houses among the Aelfir harbouring anger and envy for their richer neighbours. Only when a great divide had split the Thaumaturgists in two did She see the truth; only when Spiral named his renegade followers the Genii did she feel the sting of betrayal; only when the Genii rose up against Her with an army of Aelfirian rebels a hundred thousand strong at their backs did She know despair.

And it was said that on the day Spiral declared war on his Mother, the sound of the Timewatcher's weeping could be heard across the skies of every realm ...

Thank you for reading. If you enjoyed this, please don't forget to vote. I do my best to reply to all comments, and questions are always welcome.