IDEAL VILLAGE (part 5 of 10)

-PHASE V-

To focus on one single fact is to obscure a cunning plan...

The following morning, at the village's next emergency meeting, everyone knew that Mickey Rope had become the axe-murderer's second victim. The villagers were also in the knowledge that Mickey had not been alone at the police station the previous night. The silence that hung in the parish hall was heavy with accusation. As Charlie Pankhurst was thought to have been the only person with Mickey when he died, surely the axe-murderer's identity was revealed. The fact that Charlie was also absent from the meeting only served to confirm his guilt in the eyes of his neighbours.

Mr Cavendish was reassured that Lanky's first act that morning was to calm the community before it turned into a lynch mob.

"Let me make this quite clear," Lanky said, in a strong and resolute voice. "Charlie Pankhurst is innocent!"

The villagers erupted into jeers of outrage. Were their convictions not well justified? Did the evidence not speak for itself? Tall and proud, Lanky faced their displeasure as a sturdy oak braves a storm.

Up on the stage alongside the chief constable, Mrs Knight and Mr Cobbler seemed more lost than ever. This was partly due to fear, but mostly because their chairman Mr Pankhurst was also missing from the meeting. This was hardly surprising as not only was his son implicated in gruesome crimes, but Charlie was also severely ill with food poisoning. Without their leader, the two remaining councillors had unofficially renounced their council powers to Lanky, which pleased Mr Cavendish.

Lanky's voice cut through the crowd's loud protesting. "There are none here more sickened than I that P.C. Rope – dear Mickey – was so brutally killed last night."

Slowly, the voices hushed.

"But his death does not mean the Plan has failed."

The congregation were not much convinced by this statement either, and many of them were quick to air their disagreement once again.

"How can you say that?" called Maurice Riterong, the village questioner.

"If the Plan had worked then you wouldn't be hogging my stage!" This last came from Christian Hornblower, the village playwright.

But Lanky remained resolute. "Be assured," he said, with authority. "We are that much closer to revealing the axe-murderer's identity, and it is most certainly not Charlie Pankhurst."

Many villagers demanded to know by what proof the Chief Constable could say this.

Lanky gave them an assured smile, and said, "There is much evidence that proves Charlie's innocence, perhaps most of all the fact that he is right-handed!"

This statement brought about a sudden pause, as though the parish hall was some kind of vehicle that had performed an emergency stop. Many frowns were aimed at Lanky, many confused blinks, and many mouths opened and closed wordlessly. This remained the state of things, until Maurice Riterong said loudly, "What?"

"Do not be confused," Lanky assured all present. "The details are best left explained by our good village doctor." Lanky nodded to a member of the gathering. "Doctor Keen, if you please ..."

Dr Keen rose from his seat and joined Lanky on stage. In his hand was a medical report, which he held high for all to see, and then he cleared his throat.

"I have studied the remains of poor Sally Salinger and tragic Mickey Rope," he said. "From examining their wounds, I have deduced the direction from which the chops of the axe fell. Without any shadow of doubt, I must conclude that the axe-murderer is left-handed."

This revelation elicited collective gasps from the villagers, followed by a sudden and heavy silence. No doubt those who were right-handed were wondering how many within the community sided to the left; and those who were left-handed fidgeted in their seats.

Dr Keen returned to his seat, and Lanky took charge of proceedings once again.

"I have a list," he announced, "of all left-handed villagers. Each of these people will be escorted to the police station where they will be helping me in my inquiries."

Even as Lanky said this, the rest of the Ideal Village's policemen and women moved through the crowd, removing certain villagers, and, indeed, escorting them to the police station.

"Everybody here is innocent until proven guilty," Lanky was quick to point out, "Let no man or woman point the finger of accusation. The rest of you will go about your business as usual. Treat the day as any other – until three o'clock, that is. At that time, the village will reconvene is this hall to hear the results of my investigations."

The villagers seemed at first unsure how to go about their day in a normal fashion; but then, slowly, one by one, they began heading for the door, whispering among themselves.

Mr Cavendish waited until only Lanky, Mrs Knight and Mr Cobbler were left in the parish hall.

"Right," said Lanky, "is everyone ready?"

Mrs Knight and Mr Cobbler nodded their agreement, and the three of them left together, closely followed by Mr Cavendish.

Thank you for reading. If you're enjoying the story, please remember to vote. I try my best to reply to all comments, and questions are always welcome.