CUCKOOS OVER WEST SPIRE (part 7 of 9)

Every day when Alice returned home from work, a nutritious meal had been prepared for her. If there was housework to be done, she never had to lift a finger. The television only showed her favourite programs, and the radio was always tuned to her kind of music. Any bill that needed to be paid, or errand that needed running, was already taken care of. Her decisions and demands were always met with unswerving agreement, even when she knew she was being unreasonable. In the eyes of New Doug, Alice could do no wrong.

After a perfect year in a perfect life with a perfect husband, Alice experienced a strange phenomenon. Searching the bookcase for a good novel to read, she came across her copy of The Myths and Legends of Odd Place by the Sea. With a wry smile, she slipped it out. It seemed like a lifetime ago that she purchased this old, leather-bound book, and she owed it so much; but when Alice opened it, she found the pages blank. Every single word had been entirely erased. Then, as she stood bewildered, the book disintegrated to fine dust that slipped through her fingers and settled on the floor like ashes from an urn.

And it was while staring incredulously at the dust still on her hands that Alice became disturbed by an altogether different sensation. Something was missing, something that used to be in the house, but wasn't there anymore. Whatever it had been, it had left behind the Silence.

The Silence became more acute with each passing day, and Alice began to feel it prickling on her skin. She felt as she did when important work had been left half-finished for the weekend; or when she spoiled herself with an indulgent meal at an expensive restaurant, but had forgotten to order an Irish coffee after the sweet. The Silence tapped at her brain as though reminding her of things incomplete. Try as she might, Alice could not put her finger on the reason for its being in the house.

The day arrived when the Silence became such a maddening irritant that Alice could stand it no more, and she became obsessed with discovering its source. Alice's search began downstairs, but the Silence was not to be found in the kitchen or the dining room; nor was it present in the lounge or small, downstairs toilet. She felt she was growing warmer when she climbed the stairs, but found no joy in the master bedroom or bathroom. Not until Alice stood outside the spare bedroom did she sense the place from which the Silence radiated.

The spare bedroom served as New Doug's office. Only when Alice opened the door did she realise that she had not entered this room since returning from Odd Place by the Sea over a year earlier. New Doug sat with his back to the door working on a computer. His desk was tidy, and his papers were well organised. There were no stacks of dirty plates; no mugs half-filled with cold, mouldy tea; no stale smell that was crying out for a window to be opened. The office was immaculate.

A click sounded, followed by a low hum. Alice looked at the printer that sat beside the computer. Its lights flashed and a single sheet of paper slid onto its tray, smoothly and without problem.

"You've bought a new printer," Alice said.

"Yes," New Doug replied.

"What happened to the old one?"

"It didn't work properly." New Doug gave his wife a dazzling smile. "I threw it away."

Alice continued to stare at the new printer. The old one had been the first and only printer that Old Doug had ever owned. It had been dysfunctional for years, but he refused to give up on it, even though he was continuously shouting at it, kicking it for screwing up sheets of paper and smearing the print. That printer was like his best friend, Old Doug used to say, and they had an understanding. Alice would joke back that given the way he smelt, the printer was probably his only friend.

She began laughing. New Doug laughed with her, even though he couldn't possibly know what Alice found so funny.

"Shall I make you a cup of green tea?" he asked, wiping tears from his eyes.

"No. Thanks." Alice sobered. She chewed on her bottom lip as she finally understood the source of the Silence.

"Are you feeling all right?" New Doug asked, with the perfect measure of concern.

Alice stared at the printer again. "I have to go on a business trip," she lied. "Tonight. I have to go on my own, I'm afraid. Is that okay with you?"

"Of course it is." New Doug didn't question his wife's announcement, or ask where she was going. He smiled again and nodded understandingly. "Shall I pack you some sandwiches for the journey?"

Thank you for reading. If you're enjoying the story, please remember to vote. I try my best to reply to all comments, and questions are always welcome.