Chapter 14

"What are we gonna do?" I ask Thayer as we sit idly on the metal chair with our hands cuffed

Thayer isn't moving. He's just staring straight ahead with jaw still clenched. I fiddle with my fingers, my wrists feeling hot against the metal cuffs it's starting to hurt.

Annika is still lying on the little chair, still out of consciousness. I wonder what they had done to her. I might feel scared of her but still, I feel sorry for her in that situation.

I study the room for a split second and then turned my attention back towards Thayer. His eyes are closed now, he seems to be deep in thought.

I don't have any idea as to what time is it now, and I can feel my stomach rumbling. But I can't think of being hungry right now. No, definitely not this time. I need to think about what would happen to us right now. Or later, when Dr. Jean appears again.

"Thayer," I voice out again, trying to get his attention. He opens his eyes locking it on mine.

"We need to leave now," he announces, "as in we need to find a way out here now."

I mumble a low 'how'. I don't know how we're going to leave this place. And I still am not sure if I ever want to leave this damned asylum knowing that I still don't know the reason why I am here.

I see Annika out of the corner of my eye move. Her eyes still a bit closed and she has her left foot cuffed onto the leg of the couch she is lying at since like hours ago.

I look over at Thayer and see him trying to get his cuffs off with a fork.

"Where'd you get that?" I ask him, returning my gaze back on Annika.

"Found it lying on the floor," he answers, failing at his attempt on getting off the cuffs. He grunts attempting to do it again.

I stare at mine, there's no way I can get this out of my wrists. I feel sleepy, but that's the least in my problems now.

"Don't try to escape," I hear Annika murmur from where she is. Thayer turns to look at her too. Her eyes are puffy and there's a blotch on her left cheek, maybe because of her position while she was asleep.

"We need to fucking leave this place right now," Thayer retorts resuming on trying to get off the cuffs. Annika chuckles, but then it was replaced with a cough. She's still on that straight jacket, and there were rips on it.

"What did they do to you?" I ask not being able to hold back my curiosity. She turns to look at me, and then she starts fiddling with her fingers.

She opens her mouth to say something but then closes it again, hesitating. I sigh gripping the cuffs that is circling my wrist.

A few seconds later, Annika starts  laughing. She's definitely out of her mind, insane.

"If you try to escape," Annika voices out again, still giggling but on the verge of crying, "they'll whip you. Like what they did to me, last night. When I tried to... escape"