Chapter 54

"Do you like it?" Georgia asked as she watch me take another bite on the cookies we -- or rather she, since I just handed her the ingredients that she needed, mostly things I don't even know the use of -- had baked earlier that afternoon

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"Do you like it?" Georgia asked as she watch me take another bite on the cookies we -- or rather she, since I just handed her the ingredients that she needed, mostly things I don't even know the use of -- had baked earlier that afternoon.

I nodded my head, smiling genuinely this time. Today had been a family day, as what they call it, and both Thayer and Mike headed off somewhere, figuring out what would be our next move, maybe.

Despite of the Aubrey drama and the text message that Mike had received yesterday, hanging out for like the first time with my parents felt comforting. It somehow made my mood lighter.

I learned that Shannon and I used to go fishing with Lincoln, I mean my dad, every Saturday morning, and then on the afternoon, we'd watch Georgia, my mom, bake pastries. I vaguely remember any of those, but I stopped trying to overthink things out. I stopped trying to remember every single detail, because besides of being time consuming and nerve wracking, I figured letting things go would be better off than trying to hold onto every detail and hate myself for it.

I'm starting to learn how to accept.

It wasn't that easy, and I know that I haven't really recovered full from the information I received. For me having the tendency to lash out on someone, have breakdowns and everything. But I'm starting to accept that it was me on the past. And as Mike had quoted it, "Just because you have done something wrong in the past doesn't mean that you're going to do it again. You learned your lesson, you grow, and that makes you a better person if you let go of all those things. Accept and forgive yourself, strive to be a better person and move on."

I still feel that twinge of guilt and pain about everything I learned about myself, but I'm trying to accept it, and forget.

The oven timer let out a sound, signalling that another set of cookies is done baking. Georgia reached for the potholder resting on the table as she fished out for the cookie tray inside the oven.

"Let me help you with that," Lincoln offered, standing up from his seat. His thin old frame, not that old, towering over my mother, as she passed the tray of cookies in his hand, wearing a potholder.

I watched them, a small smile forming on my face. They're my parents, this is their house, my house. I never thought I would ever really experience this back then in the sanitarium.

I thought I would be locked in there forever.

"Tomorrow we're going to bake a cake," my mom announced. It still feels weird calling her that. I mean, there wasn't that much closeness, but we're working on that. Baby steps.

My dad chuckled, "Your mom really loves baking. In fact, the moment she had you unex--"

"Try this one, Scarlett," my mom interrupted.

I felt a bit confused with the sudden interruption and the awkwardness stood out the moment Georgia looked Lincoln in the eye, seeming to talk with it and my dad immediately stopped chuckling. Giving me a quick glance, a half smile that did not quite reached his eyes, before returning his gaze back on my mom.

What was that?

My mom cleared her throat, "let's pack some into a box and give the neighbors some. It's been a while since I actually baked something."

She started to rummage through the drawers, seeming to avoid my gaze or whatever. Maybe she sensed that I am going to ask something. Maybe she sensed that I got confused.

My dad took another cookie on the plate before ruffling my hair, "See you girls at dinner."

✂------------------------------------------

"How are you feeling?" Mike asked later that night, as the three of us sat on the little steps at the back of the house.

"Good," I answered, taking a handful of potato chips before handing the bag back to Thayer.

"You know, we're really happy for you," Thayer said, "you're like, getting the life you deserve."

I shrugged, half-believing. That still doesn't answer my once dangerous personality. But I'm striving to be better, to really prove to myself that I deserve this, whatever good thing this is, that is happening to my life right now.

"About Aubrey," I started, "what are we gonna do about it? I mean, it's just a matter of time before she tell on us."

"I know," Mike answered, "and the text message we got, it's frustrating. But we'll make it work, don't worry."

"How?" Thayer asked, "Scarlett is finally bonding with her parents. We can't just leave again and move to another place to hide."

"But the question is, why is Aubrey even here?" I asked.

The two guys sighed, Thayer crossed his arms over his chest, and Mike reached for the bag of chips beside Thayer.

The wind blew on my cheeks, and a strand of hair sneaked its way out of my bun. It was silent, peaceful. And if the situation is different, I would have enjoyed this serenity. But not now, when we still have problems in our hands.

"Maybe we should out the sanitarium. I mean, report all the horrible, unhuman things that they perform in there to the patients. That would help, in a way," Thayer suggested.

"That's a good idea," Mike nodded, "but how are we supposed to do that? With our backgrounds, they won't believe us."

I looked up at the sky, there are no stars, Lincoln said that if there's no sign of stars at night, it means it would rain the following day. I don't know if that was true, so maybe I'll wait for the rain tomorrow. A car engine on can be heard from the front of the house, and I wondered if there are any visitors.

"Is there someone out there?" Thayer asked, seeming to voice out my thoughts.

We all looked at each other, shrugging and just as when we're about to stand up from our seats to see who was out there, the backdoor swung open revealing my mom, with a distressed look on her face. Wrinkles obvious on her forehead, and her tied hair in a messy one as she spoke, "You need to get out of here. The cops are looking for you."

✂------------------------------------------

Forgive me if this chapter is too short :/
So another (short) chapter loveliesss xx I have major exams coming this week and I need to study so yeah, sorry for giving you a short chapter x

Anyway, did you like this one?

Let me know your thoughts xx
And thank u so much for all the love and support for our characters :)

Have a greeaattt week ahead and happy holidays !

Vote. Comment. Share. Fan
Check out: Goodbye Emiline