Realization

We had immediately left Hamunaptra after our encounter with the Medjai warriors. We rode through the night and into the day to make sure we got out of the city as quickly as possible. Hidalgo was fine from the event with the bugs, he had even eaten some of them. It wasn't super long til we got back to my humble abode in Cairo and were currently unpacking our cases.  I had put Hidalgo safely in a stable where I knew he'd be secure. I had been distracted though on why the mummy had called me Sekhmet and why he'd called Evy Anck-su-namun. Such a confusing time. I had taken a shower and was all cleaned up and dressed in my normal clothes when Rick came bursting through the door, emotions off the hook.
"l thought you said you didn't believe in that fairy tales and hokum stuff." Rick proceeded to badger my sister who was unpacking. "Shoo!" He shewed a cat away from the bed.
"H-Having an encounter with a 3,000-year-old walking, talking corpse, does tend to convert one." Evy stuttered out while Rick had started to throw our stuff back into our suitcase.
"Forget it. We're out the door, down the hall and we're gone." Rick said while Evy started to unpack as he packed more in. Throwing my typewriter and Evy's books in there for good measure.
"Oh, no, we are not." Evy said.
"Oh, yes, we are." Rick countered back.
"Oh, no, we are not. We woke him up, and we are going to stop him." Evy countered. I laughed at how this event was currently unfolding.
"We? What we?" Rick asked incredulous. "We didn't read that book." Rick yelled at us, throwing his hands up in the air looking very dissatisfied. "l told you not to play around with that thing. Didn't l tell you?" I stepped in between them so as to confirm no one would get hurt.
"Yes, then me, me, me, me, l, l, l woke him up and l intend to stop him." Evy continued to tell him. Rick looked at me as if asking my stance on the issue at hand. I looked away from his piercing gaze he knew I'd take my sisters side in all this.
"Yeah? How? You heard the man-- no mortal weapons can kill this guy." He proceeded to poke holes in our plan.
"Then we are just going to have to find some immortal ones." I countered.
"There goes that 'we' again." He said looking entirely peeved.
"Will you listen to me? We have to do-- Once this creature has been reborn... His curse is going to spread until the whole of the Earth is destroyed." Evy said, unpacking more of our stuff that had been thrown into the suitcase by Rick a little earlier.
"Yeah? Is that my problem?" He asked us, fuming.
"Well, It is everybody's problem." I snapped at him, getting annoyed at him, myself.
"Josephine, l appreciate you saving my life and all, but when l signed on... l agreed to take your family out there and to bring you back. l have done that. End of job. End of story. Contract terminated!!" Rick said waving his arms around. I felt hurt by his words but quickly put up a wall to set up a face to look like I wasn't fazed.
"Is that all l am to you? A contract?" I asked him curiously showing hurt only a little.
"You can either tag along with me... Or you can stay here and try and save the world!" He said seriously. I rolled my eyes at him. "What's it gonna be?" He asked after a couple seconds had gone by.
"I'm staying." I said looking at my sister with her wide eyes watching this argument and relationship go down the toilet.
"Fine!" Rick said proceeding to leave the room.
"Fine." I said back.
"Fine." He countered pausing at the door.
"Fine." I said again.
"Fine." He said finally slamming the door he had came through only moments before. God damn this man. I decided a walk might be beneficial to walk off the energy, nervousness, and annoyance Rick was causing me. Evy offered to come with so I allowed her to. She was reading a book but could definitely feel the tension coming off of me. She broke the silence.
"Joe.. I'm sure he didn't mean it. You know things tend to slip out when the stress is high." Evy tried to calm me down.
"Eves.. I know, I just need time to think about it, if the relationship is worth it." I said looking down at the ground and keeping my thoughts to myself.
"Oh, Josephine!" I heard my name from that specific man I was thinking about. Evy and I turned around, facing the problem child.
"Oh, so you're still here." Evy spoke for me, sarcasm intertwining her voice. Suddenly, lightening and meteors were falling from the sky, one of the many plagues that have already happened upon us.
"We've got problems." Rick said looking from my sister to me.