➳ Chapter Six

You're laying in bed with your back against the headboard with a book in hand as the muffled voices and shuffling happen on the floor below you. A knock sounds at your door, and before you can utter a word, Sherlock makes his way into your room.

"Why aren't you downstairs?" he asks, referring to the little get together that's happening.

"Those are your friends, Sherlock. Plus, parties and socializing aren't really my thing," you reply, marking your page and tossing the book on the nightstand.

"(Y/N), they're both of our friends. You know most of them anyway," Sherlock says, walking over and sitting on the edge of your bed.

"I know three and they're either my associate, my landlady, or your best friend," you point out.

"Come on. You're an important part of all the cases we've solved and we have to talk to the press."

"This whole thing is for you, Sherlock. Enjoy it. I know how much you love it," you say with a smile.

"None of it matters if you're not there. You're my partner, meaning partial credit. Quite frankly, you're the best partner I've ever had. John is more of an assistant." Sherlock jumps up and holds his hand out for you. "Now, no more arguments. Let's go."

You sigh and reach up to take his hand, thankfully yours are fully healed up. Your hand fits perfectly into his as he drags you from your room and down the staircase to the living room. You reluctantly let go and put on a smile once you walk through the doorway.

"Hey, (Y/N)! We didn't even know you were here," John says.

"I tried to keep it that way, but I have a persistent flatmate," you reply, shooting an accusing grin to Sherlock who just smiles.

"This is my fiance, Mary," John introduces the blonde sitting on the couch.

"It's so lovely to finally meet you officially," she says as you shake hands.

"Likewise. Congratulations on the engagement. I know how Sherlock ruined the first attempt," you chuckle.

"Wait. You knew and didn't tell me?" Sherlock says.

"Hush now. I thought it would've been funny and I was right when you came back with blood all over you," you tease, walking by his side.

At that moment, something unrecognizable flashes through the man's eyes that you can't quite pinpoint. But you don't have time as a perky woman walks in with a tall man by her side who you realize is dressed... exactly like Sherlock. Obviously she likes a certain type of man.

Sherlock approaches the two with you slightly behind him and it takes you everything to hold back your laughter as you share knowing glances with John.

"We have to get to the press," John says and the three of you rush out of the room.

"Did you, um..." John trails off as Sherlock grabs his scarf and starts tying it.

"I'm not saying a word," Sherlock replies.

"Best not," you chuckle.

Sherlock throws on his coat and leads the way down the stairs with you and John in tow.

"Unlike the nicely embellished fictions on your blog, John, real life is rarely so neat. I don't know who was behind all of this, but we will find out, I promise you," Sherlock says, popping up his collar.

"Don't pretend you're not enjoying this. Being back. Being the hero again," John says.

"Don't be stupid," Sherlock mumbles.