Chapter 13: I Knew You Were Trouble

"Kennaaaa," Seb's voice calling to me from the living room roused me from my work.

I pulled myself up and shuffled out of my own room to see what was up, but stopped short when I realised why he'd called me.

"Ugh, not this again," I groaned.

"I can't reach it," he whined, pointing way up at the ceiling beam where his swim goggles dangled precipitously.

"Why do you keep doing this?" I complained, putting my hands on my hips. "Stop throwing them around so hard! I should make you get the ladder and fish them off yourself."

"That was a funny pun," he tried ingratiatingly. I glared. "Please Kenna, it's way easier for you, plus that wouldn't be very good ladder safety." 

Ah, the guilt trip.

"Please, I've seen you fall out of trees without a scratch," I retorted. "But fine. One more time. Just stop flinging them about!"

"It helps me concentrate," he protested.

"Try meditation," I suggested dryly. Lazily, I flicked my eyes up to the goggles, lifting them up off of the beam and letting them drop onto Seb's head. I only softened their fall a little.

"Ow!" He rubbed his head gingerly.

"Nice try. You're welcome!" I sang over my shoulder as I sauntered back to my room.

"Thanks, Kenna," he muttered.

It had been a week since the incident at the museum, and life had mostly settled back into a normal rhythm. The news outlets had picked the story up - it was a bit difficult for the museum to explain away the need to retool the exhibit (read: design a new case to replace the shattered one) right after opening, without spilling the truth a little. 

Luckily for us, nobody but the Supers knew anything about who was involved, so even the nosiest reporters hadn't managed to fish out any details and we'd been left entirely in peace. Ewan had been working constantly to get the exhibit back up and running, and he said that the Supers had been around a lot to keep an extra eye on things while they revamped the amulet's new home.

Rumours, of course, had started circulating in the media about what the Evil Scheme behind it all was. They were delighted to have some new, nebulous Villains to focus on; having someone to fear was almost as fun as having someone to worship in Sapphire City. At least, it was for them.

I had managed to get back on schedule with my writing, and at our weekly catch up, Grace and I had actually talked about it rather than the crazy things we'd seen that Saturday evening. Mostly. Grace loved to speculate, but I didn't want to give too much away. Today, I was working on a difficult scene; one where the main characters had important things to say to one another but I just couldn't get them to do it properly.

The biggest problem, though, was that my character, Jonas, had blue eyes, and on this day all I could see were gold eyes staring at me from inside my mind. There'd been no sign of Enigma since Saturday night, and if I was being really honest with myself, it would be nice to see him again. But this was no excuse for the way those golden orbs swirled and shimmered at me out of Jonas's face. That, I could not accept.

That was the first reason that I was actually a little grateful for Seb's interruption. The other was that I'd had a look at the clock and realised I had a meeting with Jackson downtown in a half hour. This time Grace wasn't throwing me under the bus; it was scheduled to be a catch up with him and another milestone in his shadowing experience.

I hurriedly composed myself into something resembling put together and professional and rushed out the door to make my bus.

"BYESEBGOTTAMEETINGDON'TTHROWTHOSEGOGGLESAROUND," I blurted out on the way.