6 | Burning Questions and Cold Memories

A/N: Pause for a moment and vote for this chapter. Thanks!

Chapter 6 – Burning Questions and Cold Memories

"Alright, here's your roasted chestnut and herb tagliatelle, no mushrooms."

The waitress placed the plate of pasta on the table before Sam, steam wafting from its pale, ochre noodles covered in a leaf-speckled sauce. He looked up at the lady with a small smile as he took a fork in his hand. "Thank you."

"My pleasure," she responded, and placed an elliptical bowl with considerably thick, cheesy contents in front of Landon. "And some triple-cheese and sweet sausage lasagna. Enjoy your meal."

"Oh, I plan on it," he said with a ravenous grin. He grabbed his fork and knife and made quick work of sectioning a piece out of his food. He plopped it into his mouth, his eyes closing involuntarily as a compound of tangy, meaty and saucy flavors danced on his tongue.

When he opened his eyes, Sam had a little smirk on his face. Landon swallowed his mouthful and shrugged. "What?" he questioned, his cheeks slightly rising. Sam shook his head, casting his smile downwards as he slipped his fork between the folds of his pasta.

The two were at a restaurant called Eatalian, which had a fairly self-explanatory theme. It had ochre and brown wallpaper, and the furniture was also in the same earthy tones. This was all, however, oddly in contrast to the festive decorations that had been put up. Christmas trees stood at a few corners, and wreaths and holly plants adorned the walls.

It wasn't an expensive place, but it was still a fancy establishment, and so Landon had dressed for the occasion in a dark blue button-up shirt and a black, square tie. Sam was in a black button-up shirt, which really wasn't very different from his everyday style.

They were having a celebratory dinner of sorts – Landon and the others had finally completed the semester, just before Christmas break – but it was also technically their first official date. They had been, for all intents and purposes, together for about three weeks already, but they'd spent most of their time at Landon's house since Sam didn't go to the high school.

The dinner had actually been at his suggestion, much to Landon's surprise. From the moment they'd met Sam had seemed reserved to him, and not much of an outgoing person. Landon soon decided that it was due to the circumstances they had met under, because eventually it appeared Sam was finally coming out of his shell.

"Okay, so apart from you being a vegetarian," Landon said; he had learned this the first night Sam ate at their house. He downed another mouthful of his food, and continued. "It turns out that you don't like mushrooms."

"Or olives, or capers. Actually, anything small and slimy, now that I think about it," Sam replied, his nose wrinkling slightly as he twirled some pasta onto his fork. "And you're allergic to peanuts, which is... terrible. Have you never had a PB-and-J?"

"How do you think I found out?" he laughed and grabbed his glass of some exotically-named red wine that the waitress had poured earlier for them. "I ate one when I was about five, and next thing I knew I red and blotchy and struggling to take a breath."

"Oh God, that must've been terrible," Sam crooned. "Well, except you had magic to patch you up. I wonder why no-one's ever come up with a spell to get rid of allergies entirely."

"Probably figured life would be too boring, I guess," Landon said, his eyes rolling slightly. "But dealing with sickness and injury in general is a touch-and-go subject - there's just some things magic can't fix. I'm sure you've had your fair share to endure as a kid."