{part one}

The city's siren called; loud whistles came from the distance, but it was as if the speaker was put against her ears. Screams came from all over the hotel, and outside her window was full of chaos; burning cars and buildings, terrified citizens running and looking for safety, gun shots being fired . . .

     She saw the hovering ships lowering from the grey skies as she wanted to see what the commotion was all about. When the species stepped off the ship's platform, and started to attack, that's when the woman thought it was smart to stay inside her hotel room.

     Hiding in a corner.

     Behind the bed.

     Away from the door and windows.

     She didn't know how long she would need to stay there, or how long it would take for the invaders to leave. If they would ever leave.

     As time went on, her breathing was the only thing she could hear. Everything from down the hall to outside the building was completely silent. Maybe they're done? Maybe they've left? She knew she couldn't stay in that spot for much longer, as she needed to leave. To where though? Who knew. But she needed to find answers, and shelter like the others.

     Or at least, she hoped to find it.

     Her hand grabbed the sheets of the bed to help herself off the floor. Once she stood, she inched her way to the door.

     One foot in front of the other.

     The woman's body quivered on her way; frightened as all hell. She needed to know if it was safe yet.

     Slowly, her fingers wrapped around the handle and pulled it open.

     The movement of the hinges made a creaking noise.

     Nothing was in front of her, or down the right side of the hallway. But she checked the left side, and a man stood at the end. His back to her. He wasn't moving. It was as if he was just looking outside the window, watching everything burn to ashes.

     "Hello?" the woman said. Her eyebrows furrowed; confusion ran all over her face. Was this man oblivious to what was happening?

     In an instant, the man's head turned 180 degrees, his face turning to meet the woman's. His body didn't turn, just his neck. That was cue for her to run.

     He wasn't normal.

     But once she made a dash for the stairs, the man began running after her. She was cautious, trying not to trip. She didn't care to use the railing; her mind was set on getting out of the hotel, off the third floor.

     The man was still coming after her—he wasn't even running like an ordinary human as his legs were bent, his knees and fists to the floor. He went after her like a dog, only, when she caught sight of him coming down the stairs, she noticed that he had an extra set of legs coming out of his torso.

     What was he?

     She finally made it to the ground floor. Her body pressed against the metal bar that allowed the door to open and she made her way outside.

     It looked like it was snowing, but she knew it wasn't snow. It wasn't even cold outside. It had to have been ash, cremated bodies maybe. But how? Why? Whose bodies were being burnt to a crisp? Where was it coming from?

     She kept moving, knowing that the odd man—whatever he was—had to have been on her tail still. But as she continued her way, she saw everything destroyed. Cars in the streets went up in smoke, buildings the same, and no one was outside. She was alone. It was like a ghost town, completely deserted.