chapter 45

the next day....

reader pov

today i didnt have anything extraneous planned. we enjoyed the park, went to a few parties. now its time to simply enjoying being away. away from the affairs of school for me and the guys. away from work for everyone to keep ourselves afloat. away from the stresses of day to day life simply trying to make it. it was just us.....or it would have been just us if chalker's new girlfriend hadn't tagged along. of course since she was the event planner, the everyone else who came with her came along with us to brunch. it was....awkward to say the least. we were all at a table, enjoying a brunch buffet courtesy of nea. he didnt have a problem taking care of everything but he could tell that there was some unspoken things at play. kanda had left to grab something for lavi and him. he had an awkward....waddle as he walked away. i looked to lavi who was just staring at the table with a dark blush on his face. "sooo.....the hell is wrong with kanda?" i raised a brow. "its...its nothing," he whispered. we need something to break the ice. "so how's about that basketball game last night, eh? " looks like that was all that was needed for every guy to start talking at the same time. the girls started chuckling. "oh thank god. i was thinking about running and hiding cause it was soooooo awkward," commented lenalee. "well its you guy's fault it was soo awkward, you know, since you all broke camp leaving me high and dry," i shrugged. "no one broke camp except for kanda and lavi. me and Miranda gave zero fucks about what happened. as far as we were concerned, you guys just had a really bad falling out but its fine now. looks like you guys worked things out so its fine," she explained. "yeah, me and him are fine. cant say things will be the same but there's no bad blood," i said, taking a bite out of my pancake. the guys and kanda seemed to be getting along well. i was afraid of them not vibing well. if i had to choose, i would choose the guys by a landslide. we vibe a lot better and we need each other more than me and kanda do now. he has gotten along just fine with out me and i was forced to move on too. ill still talk to him but i wont blow the guys off to hang out with kanda again. probably blow him off a lot though.

and with that, the brunch was no longer awkward or weird. we went to a few parties as one big group before retiring to the hotel once again. "did you have fun?" i asked nea as we got packed to go. we would be taking off around 9 tonight so it wouldn't be too late when we got back home but we could still enjoy the hotel for a couple of hours. "i actually did. im glad you dragged me out the house," he smiled as he stuffed his jeans back in his suitcase. didnt take long to finish packing to go home. afterwards we simply watched tv while cuddling.

later on that night.....

chalker was the last one to put his things in the truck. "so you and lenalee are a thing now?" i asked. pretty sure i knew the answer but i figured id ask. "naw, i wouldn't say we are canon like that but....we will be talking a lot more. i exchanged numbers. she even made me text her to show me that it was the right one," he said as he climbed in the seat next to kazaana. edgar was sitting next to me in the back most seat with kazaana and chalker in the middle and nea and emilia chatting in the front. there was an uneasy silence as nea pulled off. "come on, tell me whats going on," i prodded. "im sure everyone is thinking this so ill just ask. are you and kanda gonna be like you used too be?" asked chalker. they all nodded in agreement. "no, oh god no. you know how long its been since i last saw him? we literally have nothing in common anymore. might meet from time to time to attempt to catch up but id blow him off at the thought of hanging out with you guys. doesnt really have the chance to get to how we used to be cause i have you guys now so you guys dont have to worry about him," i assured. i wasn't near as impacted by our reunion as he was. im still pretty indifferent. "you know why we were worried right? i mean, you are literally the reason we are together right now," said chalker. "and im gonna continue to keep us together. it was me and kanda cause we were all each other had. now i have you guys. we are on good terms so im good. besides....." i leaned forward to whisper between us,"....apparently what we had didnt mean that much to him cause he left me a while back. i mean we were best friends since diaper days. why would he actually believe i didnt want to be friends any more?" i said. they chuckled. "well that's good cause im sure everyone would agree that the little bit of time we been friends had nothing on what you and him had," said kazaana. "tsk...fuget about it! i met you guys on the come up. kanda was ready to live the rest of his life doing odd jobs. i need good people around me to keep me on the right path," i said. the chuckled. i sat back. "lifelong friends, guys. no just college buddies. we look for jobs and everything together after school. leave no man behind," i held out a hand. they nodded and held out theirs, placing it on top of mines. edgar wasn't paying a bit of attention. kazaana cleared his throat. he looked up and quickly put his hand on top. "until death do we part, motherfuckers," i said, a very serious tone in my voice. "till death do us part," they said in unison.