Rumors

Dinner that night was awkward.

Amber was wearing a brace and sat on a wheelchair while Violet served her her dinner on a tray on a separate table.

I looked down at my food and pushed around the vegetables somberly.

There were only sounds of clattering silverware to fill the room.

"Sofia," Dad said, "I can't believe what Miss Flora just told me. And as for your sister... If this behavior continues, I might even have to cancel your coronation ball."

I turned my gaze down to my lap. I knitted my brows and face began to pinch itself into a pout. At the back of my throat, tension was building up.

Dad sighed. "Now, we're not gonna do that because we already paid the orchestra."

I breathed a sigh of relief and the knot in my throat loosened.

"But don't think I'm not taking this seriously."

I looked up at my mom for support but she quickly averted her eyes.

Even she was against me.

"Hey, Rollie, I feel like going to bed a little early today."

"Miranda, honey--"

Mom got up swiftly and left her dinner unfinished.

I folded my arms. "Great, now Mom hates me."

"She doesn't hate you, she's--she's just scared that you're not the daughter she once knew," Dad reassured.

"Whatever, I'm going to bed too," I said.

I found Clover, Mia, and Robin on my bed.

"Hey, Sofia!" Robin greeted cheerfully.

"Hey guys..."

"So, we heard what happened at school today."

"I know what I did. But I promise I didn't push Amber in front of the coach. You guys believe me, don't you?"

Silence.

"Hey, Princess, we're still worried that your blonde hair might be a serious hex--"

"WOULD YOU SHUT UP ABOUT MY HAIR? YOU IDIOTS DON'T EVEN BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY I DIDN'T PUSH AMBER! WHAT WOULD YOU KNOW, ANYWAY? YOU'RE JUST ANIMALS!" I didn't mean for the last sentence to spill out.

The three of them stared at me in shock.

"Oh, no. No no no no. Guys, please. I'm sorry. I didn't mean that," I said.

"You nasty wench," Clover said. "You're no different! Now you're just cold, shiny hard plastic! Let's go, guys."

The three of them retreated into their hole.

I sank to my knees. I just lost my only true friends.

--

The next day, I took the coach alone. There was no Amber to sit across from me. Now both she and James were bedridden.

At school, no one congratulated me anymore on my flying derby victory. Instead, I received cold, dirty glares.

When I came in to dance class, I realized that Hugo had been dancing with another partner.

Princess Leena?

I rushed over to Hugo and gave a soft tap on his shoulder.

"Um, Hugo?" I said,"I'm here."

He continued to twirl his partner around.

"Ahem. Ahem. Hugo?!"

I walked to a bench and sat down in defeat.

I stared at the ground. Why was everyone so cold to me today?

After what seemed like ages, the bell finally rang and everyone took off.

I struggled to catch up to Hugo, who was practically striding into the hallway, as though avoiding me on purpose.

"Hey, Hugo! Hugo!" I screamed.

I finally got close enough and I grabbed his shoulder roughly.

"Hugo, what the heck do you think you're doing, dancing with someone other than your girlfriend?"

He paused in his tracks and his body stiffened. He turned around slowly and said in a sharp tone, "I'm sorry, Sofia, but I don't think I can date a girl who hurts people."

So this was what the cold atmosphere around here was about.

"Hugo, it wasn't my fault! I didn't push her! Do you believe the rumors or do you believe me?! You've known me longer! Don't believe them!"

He merely blinked. "I've gotta get going."

I watched him get smaller and smaller with distance.

"Wait! Are you still coming to my ball? It's just tomorrow!"

I headed for the cafeteria. Everywhere there were piercing, icy glares and pointing fingers.

"Oh, it's her."

"Look."

"She pushed her in front of the coach."

I had no choice.

I decided that the safest place from now on was the washroom.

I sat there awkwardly with my tray of salad on my lap and waited miserably for the bell to ring.

I barely endured the rest of classes that day.

Everywhere I went, people were talking about the incident with the coach.

Even Miss Flora ignored me entirely in her class.

I couldn't tell if it was a good thing or not.

All there was left to distract me now was my coronation ball tomorrow.