Chapter 41

Loud bells send shockwaves that reverberate through the walls of the School of Sorcery

Loud bells send shockwaves that reverberate through the walls of the School of Sorcery. Zane jolts out of bed in a confused attempt to protect himself, until he realizes where he is. He pulls the curtains back to let the sunlight fill his room, but quickly notices that the sun isn't up yet. "Today's going to be a long day," he observes aloud as he pulls his trousers on in the dark. He exits his personal room once fully clothed, and uses the fireplace to light a few candles in he and Dekker's common area.

"Just when I was starting to become used to sleeping in as long as I wanted, now I'm back at school," announces Dekker as he enters the room.

"I wasn't prepared to be awakened this early either," admits Zane. "Why are we up before the sun?"

"Ademar believes that if the sun is up, then we should be using that time to train. So, the bells ring early enough to give us time to get dressed, eat breakfast, and be where we're supposed to be for classes," explains Dekker.

"That's going to take some getting use to," confesses Zane.

"There are a lot of things you're going to have to learn to get used to," answers Dekker. "Not just the fact of who you are, but understanding how things work around here as well."

"Like what?" questions Zane.

"Well, for starters, there are social classes here and everyone sticks to them. There are you and I, designated as the people that are friends with Asher and Baschera. Apparently that puts the two of us in a different class than everyone else. Then there are the sons of Duke's like Drake, Caine, and Silas. Then, there are the guys with powers but no title, the peasants training to be GWOP's, and the girls training to be healers. The girls also have a few different social classes as well." Continues Dekker.

"So, we basically don't talk to anyone outside of you and me?" Asks Zane.

"Pretty much. Just don't expect anyone to be sociable with you." Declares Dekker.

"I didn't realize it was so divided here." Concludes Zane.

"It's the same way at the Academy as well. Standing means everything to most of them. Even the girls will only talk to you if you are equal in class, or above them. Until everyone finds out who you truly are, you will be considered a peasant with powers here." Explains Dekker.

"That's alright. I'm only here to learn how to control my powers. I'm not really concerned about what they think of me." Answers Zane.

"That's easy for you to say when you've already found someone of the opposite gender, who doesn't care whether you are a peasant, or the cousin of King Asher." Observes Dekker.

"If they are concerned about your social status, then are they truly worth the effort?" Questions Zane.

"Ha, touché." Laughs Dekker.

"Don't worry. You'll eventually find a good one." Declares Zane as he begins to smile. "Once you pull your head from your ass."

"Oh really!" Laughs Dekker. "You're starting to sound more and more like Baschera."