Chapter 46

Baschera opens his eyes, shunning the light creeping through his window as he rubs his throbbing forehead

Baschera opens his eyes, shunning the light creeping through his window as he rubs his throbbing forehead. He looks around the room in confusion as he realizes he's in his room at the Palace in Brinonberg. He looks down to notice that he's still fully clothed, wearing the same tunic and trousers he had on in Iola. He glances next to him as Lady Marie stirs under the blanket he is on top of.

"How the hell did I get here?" He questions aloud.

"Good morning." Marie smiles as she nudges closer to him and lays her head on his chest.

"Good morning." He repeats as he continues to rub his throbbing head.

"What's the matter?" She questions with a concerned look on her face.

"Too much wine." He answers, squeezing his eyes shut tightly.

"I can fix that." She declares.

She places the palm of her hand on his forehead and rubs her thumb in a circular motion. The throbbing pain slowly subsides until he feels it no more. He lets out a sigh of relief and opens his eyes.

"Better?" She asks with a sleight grin as she lifts her hand from his forehead.

"So much better!" He smiles while pulling on her waist to bring her closer for a kiss as he reveals her nude body from under the blanket.

She kisses him deeply for a moment, and then pulls away.

"It seems you had fun while you were away." She smiles deviously with a hint of a suspicious tone.

A clever grin slithers across his face.

"Why? Are you jealous?" He questions as he stares up at her.

Her eyes wander momentarily as she searches for a response.

"Maybe a little." She counters as she looks back at him.

He stares at her, unsure how to respond as his smile begins to fade.

"Not that I'm falling in love with you or anything, but I do enjoy our time together." She withdraws as she notices his face turn fearful.

"I couldn't blame you if did. What's not to love?" He boasts as his smile returns.

Her expression turns to shock as she reaches for her pillow and swings it at his face, an attempt that is quickly blocked by Baschera's quick reflexes. He grabs her and swiftly rolls over onto her. He holds her down and begins kissing her neck.

"As much as I want to continue with where this is headed, I need to take a bath and tend to Dorian." She announces as she struggles to push him away.

He abruptly stops kissing her nude body and pulls away from her with a serious look on his face.

"So, you're one to be jealous of my indiscretions! Dorian?" He retorts as he jokingly acts bitter.

Surprised by his insinuation, Marie slaps his arm.