TWENTY TWO

Boxes and boxes were stacked nearly in every corner. Bits of paper were scattered around on the floor and dust was sprinkled on top of old cupboards. The atmosphere brought shivers down my spine.

"What am I supposed to do with this?" I asked aloud with confusion dripping from my tone. My face probably represented someone who read an extremely long maths exam question and had no clue where to start. I was exactly like that, trying to solve life's important questions.

"Perhaps look in those boxes over there," Ashley suggested, pointing over at the unopened pieces of cardboard.

Slowly creeping over to the boxes, I began lifting one and placing it on the floor. It was light, but not very light. It still held a bit of heaviness to it. Turning to them, I asked, "You don't think any body parts would be in here, right?"

"For that, the whole room would have to smell of rotten flesh, right?" Mason answered like it was obvious in a mocking voice.

Quirking an eyebrow up at him with suspicion, I scowled at him. How would he know anyway?

Forgetting what he said, I began opening up the box. Tons and tons of papers filled the box. One piece of paper had caught my interest. It had said my name on it with a price.

Nom 1: Leia Owens
Cost: £500,000

What was that? Was I worth half a million pounds? For a what? I flipped over the paper and it had hand writing on it.

Think about how much money she is worth. Why won't you sell her?

Alarm bells rung in my head immediately once I had read it. Why did I cost that much? And sold to whom?

Another piece of paper dropped from the bunch I was holding and it said exactly what mine said but a different person and a different cost.

Nom 2: Catherine Owens
Cost: £250,000

On the corner had a stamp on the side. It must have been sent in the post and put through our letter box. They must had been trying to hide it from me if they all were in my grandmother's basement.

Constant questions swam through my mind and I had no-one left to ask.

That guy who killed my father and took my mother should be killed. I bet he was the reason for all of it. Everything had got to be lead back to him. It was all because of him. And who ever he was a husband, a beloved son, a father I would kill him.

He deserved everything I was going to do to him because murdering a child's parents would not be taken lightly.

"Do you have any idea what this is all about?" I asked Mason, feeling tears prick my eyes.

However, I would not cry though. I couldn't let my guard down now as I was being targeted by some crazy killer.

Handing my findings to him, I watched as his face paled and his eyes widened.

"Looks like someone was planning on selling you and uhhh-"

"My mother, Catherine Owens," I nodded sadly.

Mason's eyes flashed with something unknown before he completely turned to me, "You're mother's called Catherine Owens?"

"Yeah? I mean I'm positive," I chuckled at his bizarre question. Of course she was. My beautiful mother was called Catherine Owens.

Mason frowned but he quickly changed his face to neutral. Ok, hello Mr I-don't-show-any-emotions.

"Let's just get out of here," I muttered angrily.

Darting up the stairs, I started stomping my way out of my grandmother's house with Ashley and Sara following in tow.

"What would I be sold for if my parents had ever agreed?" I wondered.

"Probably a maid..." Sara offered, shrugging her shoulders.

"But my parents never did," I said. "My mum was on that sheet too. Was it a taunt for my dad? I mean my mum did get kidnapped in the end."

"Your mum was kidnapped also!" Mason jumped in, scrutinising me with his forest eyes.

"Yes, why?" I questioned him as he was acting unusual.

"Uh nothing," he replied before I could blink. "Let's just go."

Opening the car door, he hopped in and started the ignition.

"Come on, Owens!" He yelled out, waving his hand at me which made me jump into the car as quick as possible.

Sara's car was the first one to back out of the drive way and leave. They must had both wanted to go home because they were going in the other direction to my home.

"So what do we know so far?" Mason asked me.

"That my grandmother's basement held a load of paper work saying how much my mum and I are worth," I answered whilst scrunching my face up in disgust.

Mason nodded, showing to me that he was listening.

"And some guy wants me to pay him big money otherwise I will die too," I explained, not realising that I hadn't told him that specific information.

"What?" Mason angrily yelled out, slamming his calloused hands down onto the steering wheel. "When was that a thing?"

"Um, a few weeks ago sorry," I cringed, trying to hide my embarrassment behind my hands.

"So, do you know who the guy is?"

"Just some maniac that kidnapped my mum to hurt my dad and I," my voice shook once revealing that piece of personal information.

"He sounds horrible," Mason uttered hatefully.

Eyeing him up, I watched as his knuckles turned white and his jaw hardened. I had watched my dad get angry and upset about things multiple times and that was exactly what he would do. He would have clenched fists, gritted teeth and murderous eyes.

It was something I had never wanted to see again. But now I was seeing the exact same expression on Mason, which made me wonder if every male constantly was hot-headed. Maybe it was just the testoreone running through their bodies.

"You know, we never finished our English project," I pointed out. "Wanna finish it now by going to the park?"

____________________________________________________________________________
How was that? I hoped you liked it and please give it a VOTE and feel free to COMMENT. NO MEAN ONES PLEASE.

I will see you soon my lovelies <3
Gem Gems