Chapter 12

Jake went back to Vancouver the next afternoon. Penny was sad to see him go. She refrained from asking him when she was going to see him again because she figured his answer would just depress her. She tried to practice the piano, but her mind was in a turmoil. How could she go to Vancouver when everything in her life was established in Kamloops? Her piano exam was supposed to be in June. She had been preparing for it for months. And what about her job? She had worked hard to have a decent career. How could she just abandon all her goals and go live someplace that was unfamiliar to her? It was a choice she didn't want to have to make.

Penny went to work on Monday determined to forget about all her worries and just focus on the tasks in front of her. She thought she was doing pretty good until Harry summoned her to his office on Monday afternoon. She suddenly started to worry that she had done something wrong.

"Come in, Penny," Harry said. "Have a seat."

Penny sat down, feeling nervous.

"First of all, I just want to say that your work lately has been excellent," Harry began. "I've had no complaints."

"That's good," Penny said, breathing a sigh of relief.

"You've been a great assistant," Harry stated enthusiastically. "That's what makes what I am about to say especially difficult."

Penny felt a pulse of anxiety in her chest.

"With Jake leaving the firm, we're going to have to do a bit of reorganizing," Harry continued. "Trish has been displaced by Jake's departure. She has fifteen years seniority with the firm and she deserves a place with one of the remaining partners."

Penny frowned, not understanding.

"You have the least seniority of all the remaining assistants, so we have decided to put Trish in your position."

It took a moment for Penny to realize that Trish was bumping her out of her job.

"Do I still have a job?" Penny asked tremulously.

"Oh, of course," Harry replied blithely. "You'll be a general accountant instead of an assistant. You'll be earning the same wage."

Like that was supposed to make her feel better? Being Harry's assistant had made her feel important and worthwhile.

Penny suddenly felt like crying. She knew that would be unprofessional.

"You didn't do anything wrong, Penny," Harry said gently. "You're a great asset to the firm and we appreciate all your hard work."

Penny stared into space, not quite believing what was happening.

"Trish would like to move closer to my office," Harry pointed out. "Do you think you could switch cubicles with her tomorrow morning?"

Penny nodded, not trusting herself to speak without embarrassing herself.

"Great," Harry responded happily. "You've always been wonderful to work with. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated."

Penny gave him a fake smile that didn't reach her eyes.

Somehow she stood up and went back to her cubicle. Well, it would soon be Trish's cubicle. Now she would get to sit outside Jake's empty office, a constant reminder of what was no longer in her life. Penny started to pack up her stuff so she could move it the next morning. It didn't take her long because most of the binders and files belonged to Harry.

Trish stopped by her cubicle before the day was over.

"I'm sorry about this, Penny," she said sympathetically. "The partners made the decision, not me."