18 ‖ Traitors

Intruders?

Intruders?

"What do you mean? Where are the rest of the guards?" The lieutenant questions furiously and you can clearly hear the panic in his voice.

"I-I don't know. We heard some commotion nearby and I went to check it out. When I returned, only one of the guards was left behind and he was wounded. The rest were gone from sight." The guard stammers as he tries his hardest to explain the situation.

Silence engulfs us briefly. It is as though everyone is taking the time to recover from the shock.

"They're not guards," Alvaro mumbles abruptly under his breath as if realisation had just dawned on him. His forehead is creased with wrinkles and he clenches his fist so tightly that his knuckles are turning white.

What exactly does he mean by that?

The lieutenant seems to have heard Alvaro's comment and fear immediately smears his face.

"Traitors?"

The second the word left the lieutenant's mouth, my heart drops.

If these people wanted Casimir dead, he would probably already be dead.

I should not have left. I should not have trusted Alvaro.

"I'm leaving," I announce bitterly.

A part of me wanted to hold Alvaro accountable for everything that is about to unfold. Yet, every inch of my body blames myself for allowing this to happen.

Before I get to step out of the hut, Alvaro hastily grabs my arm.

"Wait, you can't go alone," he says.

"Let me go. You forced me here and that's precisely why we're in this situation right now. I don't have the information you want and I can't help you with anything." I lash out, raising my voice a lot louder than I probably should have at a prince.

"I'm sorry, I didn't see this coming. We want to help, please trust me." Alvaro apologises as he tightens his grip on my arm subconsciously.

"How do you expect me to just believe you when you clearly hold a grudge against Casimir? Not only that, you don't even know who is trustworthy among your own guards anymore." I snap at him in exasperation.

"Please believe me. We can't let anything happen to Casimir in our territory. The Hughes are our allies. Casimir's still alive. These traitors aren't after him. They're seeking some sort of twisted revenge on my family." Alvaro pleads and lets go of my arm.

Revenge?

Though I do not question him, I cannot help but wonder what have the Draydons done to these traitors for them to harbour such deep hatred.

Once I snap out of my thoughts, I find myself biting on my bottom lip in distress.

Can I even trust him?