28 ‖ Just A Traitor's Daughter

"They will kill you

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"They will kill you."

Instantly, the room falls into an abrupt silence as the air thickens with tension and confusion, each breath feeling heavier with every passing second as all eyes turn to me.

"What does he mean by that?" Alaistair asks, his voice coated in a blend of confusion and worry.

While everyone's gaze is glued on me, awaiting an answer, my stare refuses to leave Chad and my lips remain sealed.

I had nothing to say.

Even if I were to answer, they would only be lies.

"You know I'm right, Larissa. You can't go back there. They will try to kill you," Chad pleads in desperation.

With each word he says, I can feel my anger simmering beneath the surface, as my frustration grows.

"Will they? Or will you?" I snap, raising my voice, unable to contain my fury.

Chad is taken aback and his eyes darken as he clenches his jaw. His sincere gaze is instantly replaced by one that is distant.

"You know I would never hurt you," Chad's voice deepens, each word carrying the weight of his pain as though it is almost physically difficult for him to speak.

I teether on the edge of lashing out but before I can react, I feel a reassuring hand on my shoulder, holding me back. I look up, locking eyes with Casimir as he offers a silent comfort.

"I think that's enough for now, Chad," Casimir states as he steps in.

Upon hearing Casimir speak, Chad's brows furrow deeper and a scowl begins to form on his face,  as irritation festers.

"Who do you think you are? She's not even yours, so quit laying your hands on her," Chad explodes in pent-up frustration.

He marches forward and brushes Casimir's hand away from my shoulder hastily. He glares at Casimir, his gaze penetrating as he is seething with a mix of anger and perhaps jealousy.

That is also when I notice the slight bruise on Chad's right cheek.

Oh right.

Casimir had punched him earlier on.

I shift my focus onto Casimir, and surprisingly, he is rather calm and collected. He stares unwaveringly at Chad, almost appearing nonchalant.

"Let's stop here, Chad," Alvaro says as he steps between Casimir and Chad, creating distance between them.

Chad finally diverts his gaze from Casimir and nods in compliance with Alvaro's request as he steps away from Casimir and glances at me one last time. Then, he trudges out of the room with Alvaro tailing behind him.

"I'll take my leave as well," Alaistair announces quietly and scurries out of the room.

Finally exhaling a breath I did not know I was holding, I collapse onto the couch behind me as I try to regain my composure.