Chapter 16 Losing Control

Tyler could feel the power as her skin pulsed and everything seemed to move in slow motion. She would pay for this later but the Winchesters could not die. Not tonight at least. She picked up her knife and moved towards the golem slicing off chunks and tossing them across the beach.

The power that had burned inside her so long was finally being released and she knew it wouldn’t end well. None of the hunters would ever accept her again. She would be on the run forever now. Or until one of them hunted her down and killed her. But she had to save Sam and Dean Winchester. Too many people were counting on them. So she burrowed into the damn golem with her knife before she found it.

It’s heart. She reached for it and pulled it out not even needing her knife to cut through the thick clay anymore. She could feel the power pulsing across her skin and racing through her veins. Holding the golem’s throbbing heart she felt on top of the world again. It’d been years since she last did this. But it never felt like this before!

Bobby had warned her that things wouldn’t be the same if she tried again and he was right. But he had been so wrong to warn her! She felt alive! Raw energy burned through her and she crushed the clay in her hands, feeling satisfaction as she destroyed it. It stopped moving and fell before her as everything should.

“Tyler?” A voice from behind her reminded her of something but she ignored it. There was something already in the clay of the ruined golem and it was alive as well. Her senses encompassed it. Human and he seemed familiar somehow...

“What the hell did you do to it?” The voice. He looked up at her. Wait, the voice from behind, it called her Tyler. The Winchesters, that’s who they were. And they were hunters. She saved them? God, she was pathetic, but they must be important. In fact they are, memories flooded her and she let the deluge of information overtake her dulling her senses until she was ready to speak to them.

“I killed it.” Her voice held more authority than Sam or Dean was used to. Dean could see something was different. She looked like she almost glowed.

“Not what I asked.” Sam could see the tattoo on her back now. All he saw were the tops of some feathers, the rest of her back was covered by her shirt. They were an outline in black ink and skillfully done. Sam couldn’t imagine how he’d missed it earlier. But that wasn’t what he was really worried about at the moment. Just as processing what he’d seen was something he considered not important.

“Dean killed it really. I just assisted him.” She seemed to be recognizing her surroundings and trying to deal with them.

“Now you’re contradicting yourself.” Sam said again. Dean was beside him now but not asking anything. He hadn’t seen the tattoo yet but Sam was going to ask him or Tyler about it later.

“Sam, she helped me kill it. It’s dead so maybe we should lay off her.” Dean said before muttering under his breath. “When did I become the friggin’ voice of reason here?”

“Fine! Whatever! You don’t want to know what we’re working with, that’s fine by me! But don’t expect me to trust her. Ever again! Or did you forget the shenanigans she pulled in the motel?” Sam yelled at Dean.

“Samuel, you’re angry. Take some time and calm down.” Tyler said, her face a neutral mask.

“I agree with her Sammy. We need to think about this.” Dean said trying to calm his brother down. Which Dean couldn’t help but think weird, as it had only happened a few other times. Sam was so much better at calming him down. “How about we all go back to the motel and chat.”

“I’ll meet you there.” Tyler said immediately walking towards the impala.

“Not a chance. I’m coming with you to make sure you don’t run off.” Sam seethed.

“HA! And you think you can stop me if I want to go Sam?” Tyler said as the two stared at each other getting closer. I just can’t keep it in today can I? Maybe I’ve put up with them for long enough...

“I’m not Dean.” Sam sneered. Though inside he didn’t know if he could. All he knew was that he couldn’t let her just walk away. She was probably the demon that was killing people, or Sam was trying to make himself believe that.

“No shit sherlock.” Tyler growled. “You know what? Fine. Let’s go. Maybe you’ll cool down on the ride and you can apologize to me.” She spun around and marched towards the car. Sam knew that Dean had to see while he could.

“Dean, look at her back. Did she have a tattoo before?” Dean looked and saw the tips of black near her shoulder blades that peeked out from under her shirt.

“Are those feathers?” Dean asked. Sam shrugged in response. “I don’t remember her having a tattoo though I imagine she has at least one. But feathers? On her back? I don’t remember seeing it before.”

“That’s what I thought. I think whatever she did to that thing left an imprint on her Dean.” The brothers started walking to where the impala and Tyler’s mustang were parked slowly letting themselves wind down from the fight and nurse their injuries.

“Well aren’t you just a bundle of happy thoughts.” Dean grumbled.