Chapter 1

The Earth was covered in human waste

Fallen skyscrapers laid like carcasses across the surface. Vines wrapped their husks, squeezing the life out of the rusting metal and breaking what windows were left intact. Trees covered every flat surface. They spread like wildfire across the forgotten metropolis. Billboards pierced by hover cars and street signs twisted into disfigured people.

So that's what the Ruins looked like. Ava rarely left the Capitol. She'd only seen it on the newsfeed or during her academy years. This city was near the starting point of the war, the place where Primordial set off their bomb and killed billions of humans, and they never stopped. A barrier surged from the Earth, flaring from the crater and high into the skyline. It was never-ending, rapidly changing the planet's weather, making it worse.

And today, it was so much worse.

Thunder crashed in the distance, roared up the skyscraper and to Ava's position at the top. It was both beautiful and terrifying. She twisted her fingers around the wind, begging to call forth her ability to use nature and control what little she could—to harness that destruction and make it hers.

If only she wasn't broken, then she'd have that power in her grasp.

Static crackled in her earphone, interrupting her concentration. This better be good.

"Ava, I think I found something," Gio quickly whispered. "To the north. Past the carnival rides. Near the entrance to the park."

She unsnapped the binoculars from her waist and zoomed in. One boot dug into the vines to steady herself as she kneeled on the metal frame. When the shakes simmered, she made out a picture perfect scenery. Past the park's broken archway was a man-made hill. Man-made because it was too perfect and symmetrical to be Mother Nature's doing.

Ava zoomed in further, past the overgrown grass, and found a faded logo of the Earth on a metal door. That was the UFE symbol. The research facility was hidden so well from the public eye, no wonder Ava couldn't find it.

This was really happening. This was it. Thank the stars, we finally found it.

It took Ava two years to get to this point. She had to rely solely on her lowest grade weapons and what little ability she had left. She thought by now she'd find the missing birth record, but everywhere she searched led to a dead end. Until now.

Her sixth sense went off. Like an alarm, a faint ting buzzed in the back of her head, picking up activity from the east. She zoomed the binoculars in, back on the carnival rides.

Screeching howls pierced the air, echoing across the terrain. Hundreds of gulls took flight from the trees below, leaving behind an eerie silence. Lightning crashed not far behind, flashing a bright light across the terrain.

Wolf demons stepped out of the shadows, their glowing serpent eyes a beacon in the darkness and obsidian fur spiked in sharp needles, ready to attack. They crawled over broken carnival swings and fading plastic tracks, stopped on a fallen Ferris wheel. They sniffed the air, searching for their prey—for any humans lurking about.