Chapter 27

Zephyrus

Zephyrus. His name brought a sour taste to Ava's mouth. To make matters worse, she touched the swines hand. Disgusting. No matter how hard she scrubbed, the feeling wouldn't go away. It was there like a permanent scar forever burned in her brain.

She needed to calm down. Now was the perfect opportunity to capture a picture of him somehow, then the UFE would finally have a face to the man who'd been orchestrating this entire war. It'd be hard. Being both a god and Primordial's Head Advisory, he had to be swarming with personal guards.

Ava wasn't sure what to expect at this dinner, but they needed to prepare for the worst. Zephyrus was someone who always had a Plan A, B, and C. The UFE was lucky they survived this long. They really needed to make a plan.

She undressed. The scrubs fell to pale carpet. One wall was a complete mirror, easily catching Marc's seal in its reflection. The curse mark was ruined, scratched with hundreds of tiny lines. She felt grateful the mark hadn't disappeared, yet, considering once it did, she'd face a painful death. Ava squeezed the medallion.

This walk-in closet had nothing short of a full wardrobe, displaying dresses and flats and underwear, all in the color black. Surprised Primordial had enough decency to use black when it was the UFE's celebratory colors.

Ava pulled on a simple black dress, one reaching just above her knees, and flats that sculpted to her feet, perfect for running. Someone trimmed her hair into a bob to fix the Black Rabbit's treachery. They'd seen it all. No point in hiding the curse mark anymore.

When she left the confounds of the closet, she went into Mika's room and found the closet door wide open. He was in the middle of changing and she didn't say a word. She just watched him, his movements were calculative. He tucked a dark shirt into his new fitting pants until every wrinkle was smoothed out, then sifted through the collared shirts, choosing one that fit his style. Does he always wear a shirt under his formal clothing?

Mika finally caught Ava standing by his bed, her arms crossed. He jumped back, face turned red as a tomato. "Can't you see I'm in the middle of changing!"

She rolled her eyes. "You're practically dressed already."

"I feel so exposed." He grabbed his head, burying the shame into his hands.

This felt like déjà vu all over again. They didn't have time to deal with this. Ava took his hand. Before he could get a peep in, they were locked inside his bathroom with all the water facets running at full capacity.

The close proximity didn't bother him until she stepped close. His back hit the wall, face bloomed a shade of rose. He was so easy to tease. "We need to make a plan," Ava whispered. "This might be our only chance before he comes back."

Mika hastily tried dressing, doing a horrible job at it, too, snapping buttons in the wrong places and forgetting to fix his hair. "Now you want to make a plan."