16 | james norrington

-------

-------

You had debated about whether to see James Norrington since the incident occurred. It was mostly fear that kept you away from the Royal Navy barracks, the fear about what he would do when he saw it; the burns.

You hadn't been quick enough to flee the market when they attacked, the fight or flight instinct had instead made you paralysed with fear. The chaos unfolded around you, like a scene from a book and you were the reader. That was until you heard a baby crying and the smell of burnt wood mixed with the ashy blue of the night, then you went the only place you could; to Will Turner.

Growing up as orphans and street rats together meant you trusted him. Not with your love but with your life. It was the wrong choice because as you stumbled your way into the blacksmiths, the fire seemed to follow you. It was only a matter of a seconds before you became trapped and Will Turner was nowhere to be found.

You escaped but you left something in that you can never get back; your beauty. That's what you believed you had lost, the left side of your face had become weathered and haggard from the burn. You couldn't even look in the mirror anymore.

But you decided to see James. He had heard rumours about how people had suffered in the town before the Royal Navy could arrive. He had taken to staring out to sea impatiently - his leg littering and biting his lip - worrying how you were, if you were even alive.

James was like this when you saw him, you hesitated and stopped in your tracks as you approached him. Clearing your throat you began to say his name but it came out as incomprehensible sound. You cringed at the sound of it.

"James." You tried again after you had positioned yourself so he couldn't see the worse of the burns.

This is the way he turned around, utter relief at hearing your sweet voice. You were scared at how he would react opting to stare at the ground rather than at him.

"I can't believe..." His voice trailed off as he walked across the patio to you.

"No, don't." Your shame and sadness overtook any other feeling and you turned your body away from him, bringing a hand to cover your face. It felt coarse making you hate it even more.

James paused, his face falling at the low shrill in your voice. He swallowed the saliva in his throat and composed himself before placing a hand on your shoulder and gently turned you to face him.

Not even he could hide the surprise but it soon changed to sympathy which made you choke on your own breath. He moved your hand so he could trace his calloused and rough fingers over the scarred skin. It made you shiver as he cupped your face in his hand.

"I didn't want...." You started to say but even you didn't know how you were going to finish the sentence.

"Shh," James told you before moving closer, "Nothing can ever happen that will make you less beautiful in my eyes. Nothing."