1.3: In Which She Lives

He wasn't asleep.

Never slept, thanks to the shit they'd injected him with. He misses it sometimes - which is weird because he doesn't have any recollection of actually doing it. But he does know it would help time fly.

The scientists voices reached his ears, most of the words he ignored unless they were mentioning her.

It was one ability he had that they didn't know about. It helped him stay one step ahead, always prepared for what they had planned.

It's morning from what Doctor Archelm says - "7:32am, vitals still steady."

Next came their usual chatter, using words 254 didn't understand. Science speak, he figures. They don't pipe his interest again until Doctor Pencil Neck gasps.

"She's waking up!"

254 bolts up in bed, eyes wide.

Holy shit.

"W-w-what-" She's trying to speak, voice groggy with confusion.

A pang stabs his heart; he remembers what it's like. All of them gathering around you, fingers tapping against their pads. Talking amongst themselves. The white lab coats. Followed by needles, needles and more needles.

She won't be able to move. Strapped to the bed until they find out what exactly their formula did to her. Find out how dangerous she is. She'll feel different, like her bodies no longer her own.

And hell, it isn't - it's their's now.

They're babbling, more science speak, voices mixing together. He struggles to pin point hers, weakest of them all. It's like she's hidden beneath a cloud of smoke.

"Please," she's begging.

254 works his jaw, clenching his fists, wishing he could knock out those ass-holes and help her.

But he can't, because he needs saving too.

They finally go over all her vitals, sounding satisfied with what they've found, and begin to acknowledge her.

"How do you feel?" Doctor Archelm is the one to put on the soft act. The good cop.

He rolls his eyes. She'll soon learn that he's one of the worst ones.

"Hurts," she manages to croak. "Everywhere. I-I...Water?"

He wonders if she remembers wanting to live.

Was she regretting it yet?

"Of course," he coos. It's silent for a moment, and then gulping. "Ah-ah not too much now. You'll make yourself sick."

"Yes," Doctor Pencil Neck agrees. "Your body has been through an extraordinary transition. It'll be a while before you feel normal again."

"Transition?" She questions. He can hear the pain in her voice. They had painkillers. Won't give them to her though. It's part of the test - see if one of her abilities is immunity to pain.

"You're a very special person now,391." Another voice speaks up.

"I-I-I don't understand." She sounds close to tears. Hell, wouldn't be surprised if she was already crying.

"Don't worry," Doctor Archelm says a little too sweetly. "You'll find out soon enough."

"Her vitals are satisfactory. Shall we let her rest before we put her through the tests?" Doctor Ashley, the only female, wants to know.