Chapter 34

~2 weeks later~

Nathaniel:

Currently I was working on solidifying the relationship between Nightmare and myself. For some reason Damon has brought Vincent into Head Quarters to train as well. Except since he wasn't aware of the kids element yet he could only train him a bit in all fields Damon had up. 

Vincent didn't seem to mind anything ordered of him and instead simply did it. 

At the moment I was down in the 'dungeons' attempting to further build the relationship between Nightmare and I. I call it 'dungeons' but it's more of a holding cell for living test dummies. These people were ones who asked for a Mission to be completed and never completed their payments after the job was complete. 

Damon had told me 'If they can't pay in cash then they can pay with their bodies' and left me to practice alone. So far I've killed a total of 42 people down here in the past 2 weeks. I assume it would've been more had I been capable of taking out Nightmare when I wanted to instead of the struggle it persisted in putting up. 

At first, I'd had to work through the nausea I felt in killing someone who hadn't done anything to me but after the first seven or eight times it had gotten better. 

Nightmare kept complaining about the little bit of blood I fed it but after the twenty-fifth or so person that wet his blade, he'd begun to allow me to easily use him. It still wasn't perfect but it was enough that I knew I wouldn't be completely helpless if someone attacked me. 

Right now I was making my way towards Vincent. These past two weeks, although he still didn't have any visible emotions, we'd begun to get closer. Sometimes he'd read books on the human anatomy as I worked with Nightmare in one of the cells. 

"What are you doing today," I asked as I spotted him sitting cross legged inside of one of seven libraries. 

Each Library catered to specific subjects: Medical, Earth, Fire, Water, Air, Marital Arts, and Rarities. By breaking the subjects down into separate Libraries it made it easier for the 'students' or 'recruits' who had specialties. In each one there were also 'Seniors' added to an informational board that you could tap on and gain access to. If they were free and not on a Mission they're forced to immediately make way to the Library and assist the 'recruit/student' in their research. 

This system was set in place in order for the younger ones to be able to get adequate information and real life experience from someone who has it. Books can't give you all the knowledge you need. 

At the moment, I'd found Vincent in the Rarities/Specialties Library. He was holding an old tattered black book within his small pale hands. He glanced up at my question. 

"Since I'm still learning how to read and these don't have pictures like those Anatomy books, it's slightly difficult to understand what I'm reading. However, I was looking into information that deal with Shadow Element Magicians."

"Why would you want to learn that?"

He raised an eyebrow but overall still looked uninterested or bored. 

"Both you and Damon hold the Shadow element and would be beneficial to learn and understand the basics of this specific element. Correct?"

Vincent:

I never understood why Nathaniel couldn't understand why I wanted to learn certain things. Wasn't it obvious that I wished to learn this specific element because two people I've allowed to surround me, hold these elements at the tips of their fingers? In my speculation of elements, they have something to do with personality and if that theory is correct then I should get one of the more dark elements. Possibly even Shadow. 

I can't really call it my research though. It was that mad man's research and part of the reason they'd held Nathaniel within those rooms as well as why his magic was pushed forth at an earlier age. Under extreme duress the element that manifested was extremely dark in nature. I wonder what they'd have been if he had lived a normal life. 

"You don't need to look at those. Damon said you only needed to get a better grasp on each subject's basics until your Magic manifested."

"That should be in a couple months," I answered informatively.

"What?! Your birthday is in a couple months?? Why didn't you tell us?"

"It had no relevance to learning and held no harm towards each of you. Is there a reason to tell you?"

I tilted my head to the side in question.  

He huffed out a breath and answered, "Yes. Don't you know that there is a specific ceremony that is held on every child's eleventh birthday in order to control the elemental manifestation beginner Markings in case the energy goes out of control? It should've been something you read on the first day you arrived here."

Pulling up information that I'd cataloged inside of my brain, there was actually something that sounded familiar to what he was describing.

"During the transition from Null's into Magicians, an child reaching their eleventh year will begin transitioning into adulthood. Influx in the surrounding Elements will begin to gather and funnel into the body in order to seek out the proper fit and during this process the pain can hinder each individual differently. Sometimes even going so far as death if the mentality of the child isn't solid enough. Using proper ritualistic diagrams, potions, as well as items of the four elements, this will allow the individual an easier transition into their inheritance."

Null's were what everyone referred to children as because of the fact that before they reached maturity, magic would usually nullify before reaching them to cause damage. Later on, some Magicians can retain this skill but it's not usually common among Star Holders. 

"I do recall a passage about it," I answered after I'd sought out that information within my head. Why would Nathaniel ask this question if he knows that I can just pull up the memory of any book I've read? Everyone was capable of this type of thing. Maybe he thought I hadn't gotten this skill? 

A/N: Sorry everyone. I've been having an emotional couple of day really and my updates have been slightly sporadic. I'm just mentally exhausted. Hope you guys and girls enjoyed the chapter because honestly I can't quite recall what I wrote. -_-