Chapter 17

I really didn’t like the idea of being out, surrounded by trees when I knew Grayson and Mason were out there changing. I had to change and then I’d have to react to whatever happened.

I had the suspicion that the both of them were going to attack me.

Fear shot through me because I knew I was not much of a fighter compared to Mason, I couldn’t imagine going up against Grayson.

As my bones shifted and moved, I realized that I was getting used to this pain. I was relieved. When I first started the change, I couldn’t believe that I could ever get used to it. My pain tolerance must have gone up.

Once I was finished with the change I sat there for a minute. I always rested for a few minutes before going and finding whoever I was with. It gave me time to stretch and adjust to the difference in controlling my body.

But as soon as I laid down, I knew I wasn’t alone.

He’s coming for us. My wolf warned. Get up.

Once on four legs, I heard the growl.

Was I supposed to run? Was I supposed to give my belly and submit?

Usually with Mason I’d fight back because I wasn’t afraid of him. But Grayson, I didn’t know how to react to.

Casey had warned me back when I joined the group that if I knew I wasn’t going to win I should roll over and submit.

I didn’t think the point of testing my control was to kill me. That wouldn’t make sense.

All I felt was pain the next moment. I had been hit from the side and knocked over with such force that I slid across the ground, and only stopped because of the tree that dug into my back.

I tried to stand up, but my bad leg wasn’t allowing any weight. If I wanted up, I’d have to do it with three legs.

I looked around instead of trying to get up. I couldn’t see anything unusual. I couldn’t hear anything that would lead me to believe that there was someone out there.

Maybe that was the point. Maybe I had to find him. I lifted my front half up first, it seemed easier. It was hard getting my hind end up.

Once I was up, my ass was back down. I couldn’t even see him when he came at me. The sudden pain from being hit was the only thing that let me know I’d been hit.

This isn’t fair. My wolf grumbled.  Let me at him.

I couldn’t do that though. That was the point of this thing. I could only let her peek out. I couldn’t relinquish control. Not if I planned on making progress.

I scanned the area; I couldn’t see or hear him anywhere. He blended in so well with the environment. It made me wonder if someday I would be able to move like him.