Ch. 45

It's been a week since I found out. Today, Chris was leaving with his parents to get some great quality treatment. I had spent the whole week with him, trying to make the most of our time together. We were happy amd smiling all the time together, but there was still that pang in my heart. There was still that thought that lingers in the back of my head.

I snap out of my thoughts when I hear Luke coming out of Chris' room. He usually helps Chris get ready since they're practically brothers. He has been taking care of Chris the moment he found out that there was something wrong with him.

"You can go see him now" He smiles at me

"Thanks"

Chris was dressed in a t-shirt and a very very baggy sweatpants. He needs to be dressed comfortably which he really loves. He was also seated on a wheel chair since the doctor is not allowing him to move his legs a lot because it may break.

"Hey..."I smile lightly at him

"Heya Har Har!!" He says with a smile

"So...you're leaving soon."

His smile immediately falls and he nods sadly

"Yeah...I won't be able to see you for Christmas..." He says

"I know. That's why I brought your Christmas gift here already." I smile, trying to lighten the mood.

"Really?!" His eyes lighten up. Chris always loved presents.

"Yeah, but it's pretty shit." I chuckle

"Of course not!!! If it comes from you, then it must be good" He stretches his hand out and looks at me expectantly. I chuckle and go outside to take it from the counter. I spot Luke hurriedly placing the cover back on the box and trying to act normal.

"Heh, snooping are we?" I say

"I got curious" He says sheepishly

"It's fine." I shrugged and take the box to Chris.

His eyes widen and his smile grows as he sees the box in my arms. I place it on his lap and watch as he uncovers the the box. He begins pulling out the things one by one.

The first thing he pulled out was a photo album filled with pictures of him, Mike, and I. The next thing was a lot of his favorite movies and games that he's wanted. There were also some of his favorite foods that I made myself in containers. The last thing he pulls out was a T- Shirt that had a picture of him and I in the front and him and Luke at the back.

"Harleyyyy" He whines

"Yesss?"

"You're gonna make me cry againnnn" He pouts. Even though it was a joke, I knew that it was gonna happen. Tears started falling from my eyes which made him start to cry as well. I rushed to hug him so tight as if it was gonna be the last hug I wil ever have with him.

"Please stay strong, Chris...please." I whisper

"I will. I'll fight this, Har. I'll fight and win." He says

We hug a bit longer until Luke knocks on the door. We let each other go and look over to Luke.

"It's time to go, Chris." He says sadly. Luke couldn't be with Chris for the treatment because he had to go back to school.

I packed up my gifts into the box while the two hugged each other and said their goodbyes. Once they were done, the three of us gathered for a big group hug.

"Hey Luke" Chris sniffles as he pulls away

"Yeah?"

"Luke at what Harley got me" Chris says. Luke chuckles at the terrible pun and holds up the shirt that Chris was previously clutching closely.

"Where'd you get this picture?" He asks me

"I looked through Chris' phone." I shrug

"Ahh...it's nice. Thanks for adding me on it as well" He says

"Of course! You're his best friend too" I say

With one final group hug, Luke and I brought Chris and his stuff downstairs to meet his parents. His parents were waiting up front with a van. Luke and his father worked together in lifting Chris and the wheel chair into the free space at the back. His mother and I placed all of his stuff at the middle of the seat.

When all was ready to go, Luke and I gave our final goodbyes.

"Chris" Luke calls out

"Yeah, mate?" Chris looks at his best friend

"No goodbyes. See you later, alright?" Luke says

"No goodbyes. See you later, Luke! See you later, Har Har" He smiles at us

"See you later, Chris." I wave with a smile.

His father closes the van doors and hops into the driver seat. Luke and I watched as the car pulled out of the parking lot and onto the road,making their way to the airport.

"I'll see you later as well" Luke pokes me in the cheek

"Yeah. See you too, Luke" I wave him goodbye. He goes back inside to pack his things while I make my way to meet up with someone I haven't seen in a while.

.
.
.

"I was thinking a lot of bad things without you here. Mostly about how you probably hate me which is why you haven't been coming here." He says with his eyes closed

Luna leaps up and runs in circles with Mike. I take a seat next to Tyler and side hug him.

"I'm sorry. I don't hate you at all. I've just been preoccupied with some important stuff" I mumble against his shoulder

"Mmm...something sad?" He asks

"Yeah..." I sigh

"Then let's think of something happy. Where do you wanna go?" He asks

"You choose." I lay my head on his shoulder. His arm wraps around my waist and he brings me closer to him. He places one earphone on my ear and the other on his. We stayed there listening to music that could take us to different places and turn us into whatever. I found myself relaxing and letting go of the problems and stress that I've been feeling. I no longer felt worried for Chris. Instead, I felt hopeful. I hoped and prayed and wished that Chris can win this battle.

I stayed in my peaceful trance throughout the afternoon, not realizing that someone was spying on us.

///////////////////////////////