Chapter 9: I Can't Marry You

King Edward of England dies the day before his wedding to princess Catherine of Scotland.

I am lying in bed panicking about the painting and Edward's future when someone knocks on my door. "Who is it?" I call out.

"Your royal highness," a soft voice answers, "it is your ladies in waiting."

"Oh," I sit up and smooth down my hair. "Um. Come in."

Two girls dressed in expensive looking lace gowns walk into my room. The first one, a gorgeous redhead, curtsies and says,"I am Anne Morrey, youngest daughter of Lord James Morrey."

"And I am Margaret Beaton, eldest daughter of Lord John Beaton" says the other girl, who is equally stunning with her grey eyes and raven black hair.

I smile. "Nice to meet you guys."

"We were wondering if you would like to have lunch with us and a few other nobles."

"Oh. Sure. I would love to."

"Great! I have a surprise for you," Margaret grins. She claps her hands excitedly and opens the door, yelling, "Bring it in!"

I gasp as four maids stumble into my room with a huge leather trunk. "Anne and I just returned from Paris, and we brought you a little gift." Margaret giggles as she opens up the trunk, revealing a heap of sparkly dresses and glittering necklaces.
——————————

"So how well do you guys know the king?" I ask as Margaret and Anne twist and pin my hair up.

"I came to court with my father when I was eight. So I pretty much grew up here," Margaret purses her lips, "but no one really knows the king."

"Why is that?"

"You know the assassination of the princes?"  I nod. Margaret lowers her voice, "I heard that the king saw his brothers killed right before his eyes. And I guess it kind of scarred him for life."

Remembering last night, I shiver. I was right. This is the Edward I learned about in history class. "How old was he? When when it happened."

I remember doing a presentation on Edward, and if Wikipedia was right, he was three when it happened. Just as I had guessed, Anne replies, "three."

I gasp. "Um...And how is...his personality?"

"Cold, cruel, emotionless," Anne laughs. "A block of ice."

"A very handsome block of ice," Margaret adds with a giggle. She sprays some kind of rose scented mist all over my hair and claps her hands with satisfaction. "Done! Go look in the mirror." I walk over to the floor length mirror next to us and find myself staring at another girl.

"Wow." Is all I can say as I finger the intricate updo they had fixed my hair into.

"You look amazing," Anne sighs, patting the puffy skirt of my shimmery black dress. "It's such a pity that you're marrying the king. Your face is way too pretty to waste."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know if I should say this..." Anne murmurs slowly, "but theres something about the king you should know."

"Tell me."

"Well, countless girls have tried to pursue the king. All kinds of girls. From the most beautiful to the richest to the most powerful. He never showed interest in any of them," Margaret lowers her voice, "the king has never courted a lady. Rumor has it that he prefers the company of men."

"Are you serious?"

"Yes," Margaret whispers, "I've heard the maids gossip. They say the king has never brought a lady to his chambers."

"And he has brought men?"

"No. He has never brought anyone to his chambers."

I gulp, remembering what I had done last night. Margaret pats my arm gently, "Let's not talk about this. I understand that you royals don't have the luxury of choosing your partner. But here," Margaret places a heavy diamond tiara on my head, "now you look like a true queen."

We are picking out shoes when someone knocks loudly on the door. "Her majesty is not ready!" Anne yells as she tosses away a pair of gold heels.

"Catherine!" Edward's worried voice calls from the other side of the door. "I need to talk to you."

Margaret and Anne both turn to me with wide eyes. "Oh my god," Anne hisses, grabbing a pair of pearl studded heels. "I've never heard the king sound so worried. This is the first time he's ever had emotion in his voice." She giggles and hands me the heels, "put these on and go!"

I slip it on and walk over to the door with my heart pounding. How am I supposed to look at Edward when I know his entire life story? His life story, which will end soon if I marry him. "Hey," I say, opening the door and forcing on a smile.

He stares at me for a moment, his mouth slightly agape. I blush and self consciously tug at my dress. "Um, my ladies brought this for me from Paris." When he doesn't reply, I add, "do I look weird?"

I shiver under his intense gaze, feeling as if he is undressing me with his eyes. Finally, he whispers, "No, you look ravishing."

"Thanks." I blush harder. I try to push the door open wider so that he can enter the room. "Ow," I wince , feeling a stab of pain in my palm.

"Are you okay?" Edward immediately asks, his voice concerned. Gently, he grabs my right hand and turns it over to reveal the wound from his sword. "About last night...I'm really sorry, Catherine. I really am."

"It's fine," I take my palm back and look into his bloodshot eyes. "You look tired. Are you sure that you are okay?"

"I'm fine," he reaches into his pocket and produces a silver necklace with a diamond rose pendant. "I got a gift for you." He smiles as he looks down at my neck, which is bare. The girls and I couldn't decide on a necklace earlier. "May I?" Edward unclasps the necklace.

I turn around, my cheeks growing warmer with every second. My neck tingles as his fingers graze my skin. When he is done, he takes my bare shoulders gently and twirls me around. I shiver at his touch, suddenly regretting choosing an off the shoulder dress. "Perfection," he whispers. His face is a mask of emotions, but I can hear, loud and clear, the sincerity in his voice.

I stroke the necklace. "I love it. Thank you, Edward."

"It was my grandmother's. A beautiful necklace for a girl worthy of its beauty."

My heart skips a beat.

For some reason, the sight of him from last night pops up in my head, sending shivers down my spine. The way he yelled in agony. The way he cut himself without feeling any pain. "If you ever need to talk," I start slowly, "I want you to know that I'm here for you."

Edward's expression turns dark. "I told you i'm fine."

"But Edward, last night you were-"

"Stop!" He cuts me off, "I have to go."

"Wait!" I yell as he slams the door. "Edward!" I cry out, running into the hallway after him. "I need to talk to you!"

He stops and crosses his arms, not looking at me. "What?"

I take a deep breath and say, "I can't marry you."

"What," he laughs, turning back to face me. "Is this about last night? You don't want to marry me because I'm weak?"

"No," I sigh, "this has nothing to do with that, and you're not weak."

"Then why?"

"Because...because you'll die."