Chapter 31: Guilt

"I don't know what to do." I admit to Calchantis. Edward didn't mention the story again this morning, but I'm still worried. "Do you think it's more than a story?"

Calchantis shrugs. "It's too much of a coincidence."

"So you believe it? Aren't you worried about this? He's going to..." I choke on the words, "kill...you."

"Don't mess with fate."

I roll my eyes. "Please..."

"Natalie," he sighs, "I don't know what you want from me. All I can tell you is that there will be lives taken. And more than one."

"I had a dream last night. I think he's going to kill William. But why William?"

----------------------------------------------------------

"My love," I hold up a little baby's dress, "isn't this so cute?"

Edward smiles, takes the dress and sits down next to me in bed. "I really hope it will be a little princess."

"You don't want a boy? You need an heir."

"The next one can be a boy. We're young. We can have more."

"Edward..." I sigh, "you know I can't stay..."

"Don't say that. I'll make sure you-"

"Don't." I try to muster a smile. "Don't miss me too much, okay?"

"Are we seriously going through this again?" Edward's face turns dark.

"Killing Calchantis won't keep me here."

"Stop."

"I'm not leaving you alone here with blood on your hands because of me. And our child's birthday can't be marked with death."

He'll be alone with guilt and grief. It'll destroy him. I can't let that happen.

"How can you say that?" Edward's voice cracks as he stares at me in disbelief. "You know I can't live without you. Life without you would be meaningless."

"You have our child. And your throne." I kiss him on the cheek and squeeze his hand. "It's time I return you to your country. Be a just and benevolent king. Do it for me."

"I can't." He pulls me into his arms and buries his face in my hair. "I'll give up the throne. I promise you my love, I will make it my life's mission to find you."

"But there's no way-"I try to argue but he cuts me off.

"I'll find a way."

"So you're letting me go?"

"That's not what I said."

I sigh. "Please don't kill an innocent man just because of some silly story."

Edward stands up abruptly. "We're not talking about this anymore. I still have some work to attend to some rest, my love."

———————————-

I decide to visit William and tell him Edward's plan. Perhaps he'll help me.

"Anyone in there?" I knock on William's door.

"Catherine? Come in."

I enter the room slowly and manage a polite smile at William. I can't help notice that his face is a mix of longing and sorrow. "You really love Catherine, don't you ?" I whisper.

He sighs. "I do. There is nothing I wouldn't do for her."

"Then you have to help me."

As I tell him about the book and Edward's plan, he starts to pace around the room anxiously.

"But it's just a silly story, right?" He asks once I'm done. "You think he'll really do it ?"

"I can't let him do it, even if it's true. And you can't either."

"Ofcourse. If there's even the slightest chance that Catherine can't come back, I will do everything in my power to stop him."

I smile. "Then you will help me."

"But why are you stopping him?" William frowns, "don't you want to stay?"

"Because I love him. If there's even the tiniest chance that he'll be left alone here with blood on his hands, I can't allow it."

"When the time comes, I will help you."

"Oh!" I gasp all of a sudden.

"What is it ?"

I point down at the pool of liquid on the ground. "I think the baby's coming."