Chapter 13: Reconciled

"Sooo, tell me," James smiles as he trots up beside me on his horse, "how did a beautiful princess like you learn to ride so well?"

"I actually lived on a farm when I was a kid, my mom taught me how to ride-oh shit," I mentally slap myself. I'm not me right now!!

"The princess of Scotland lived on a farm?" James frowns, "whatever for?"

"Um...I meant, I visited a farm when I was a kid," I mumble.

"Interesting," James muses. To my relief, he seems to forget about the topic and begins to hum. I stare ahead at Edward, who is still mad at me for choosing to ride on my own instead of with him. As if reading my thoughts, James says, "He's not really mad at you, he just likes you." James winks at me, "and I can see why."

"W-what?" I mumble, startled.

"It's what he does," James sighs, "he can't handle emotions."

"Well, he's doing a pretty great job of hating me."

James is silent for a moment, as if deep in thought. Suddenly, he says, "You know what people say about Edward?" I shake my head. He starts counting off his fingers, "cold, heartless, emotionless, lunatic, self absorbed, asshole. There's more. Oh and trust me, there are worse."

"Are you sure you're his friend?"

James laughs. "What I am sure of is that I'm his only friend."

Hearing our laughter, Edward glances back at us. "Be quiet, the two of you," he says darkly.

"Someone's jealous," James chuckles.

"Whatever," Edward mutters as he turns back around.

"See? I told you," James whispers, "he's an ass."

I giggle.

"But anyways," James continues with his voice lowered, "what I'm trying to say is that he's different around you."

I sigh. "That's not how it feels to me."

"As his best friend, I can assure you that I've never seen him so hot and bothered."

"Okay..."

"You're the first girl he has talked to me about."

I almost fall off my horse. "What? What did he say?"

James winks, "it's a secret...but he's definitely attracted to you."

Feeling a blush creep up my cheeks, I quickly tell myself to stop acting like a silly teen girl. I'm here to save a life. Whether Edward likes me or not is a trivial matter.

It's not like we'll ever be able to have a real relationship.

I shake my head and take a deep breath before turning to James and whispering, "listen, Edward's in danger. We have to help him."

James doesn't look surprised at all. Calmly, he replies, "I know."

I frown, "how? I'm the only one who knows...Unless..." I gasp, "it's you, isn't it? Are you the one who's trying to kill him?"

"I'm sorry, princess," James apologizes as he pulls a sewing needle out of his coat pocket and jabs it into the side of my horse. I yelp as the horse rears frantically and goes completely berserk.

"What the fuck! You traitor!" I scream when the horse begins to race forward. Faster and faster. Faster and faster. "Damn it! Why won't it slow down?!"