Entry #20: Cerulean

River water laps against the bank, turning once dry soil into sticky mud. A few footprints are set in the goop, elongated with pointed claws. Whoever walked through here strode straight through the mud and into the Cerulean River. It is Fen’s only river, and it is huge. Not here by the forest, as it narrows into a stream here. But near Tayri and in the eastern plains, it spans for miles and goes so deep, swimming is forbidden there. Too many people have drowned, so the king set this rule in place.

The sky is a grey overcast, as though it could rain at any moment. I even hear the distant rumble of thunder in the background. Storms are bad omens, Rory would tell me. I never disagreed with him.

Kaiya is on the other side of the river, her feet submerged in the shallow water. She eyes the waters with a hungry stare, as if something could jump out at any minute. Suddenly, her hand splashes into the water and emerges moments later with a wriggling trout clamped tightly in her claws. Ah, doing a bit of fishing, I see. I never use my hands. Rory and I use handmade nets. And, well, I don’t have claws, so I think using my hands would be rather difficult.

The lupine slices the fish once, making it fall still. She licks her lips as she tosses it into a woven basket. I count two fish inside it, which is probably enough to feed her small family for dinner. She wipes her hands on her skirt, leaving two large wet spots.

As she picks up her basket, she says, “Evening, Kain.”

He emerges from the trees, like a shadow. I have to figure out how he does that. It could be useful for hunting. Not to mention it’s creepy and I could probably scare my brother with it. Turn the tables for once. I start laughing at the image of Rory screaming and knocking things over.

“Good evening, Kaiya. I see you found some good catches,” he replies, eying her basket.

A smirk crosses her face as she loops her arm through the basket’s handle. “Yep. Found some of the herbs mom uses to make her spices today, so I’m gonna make fish.”

“Ah. I’m sure it will taste good.”

Kaiya’s face flushes a bit, and she nervously looks away. “Yeah, m—“ she cuts herself off as she sniffs the air.

“Do smell that?” she asks, eyes scanning the forest.

“No."

Her mouth opens into an aggravated snarl, baring her razor sharp fangs. “It’s the disgusting reek of humans, and they’re close.”

The basket falls from her hands, landing on the muddy bank with a thud. Kaiya takes off sprinting towards the forest, her feet kicking up water as she crosses the river.

“Kaiya!” Kain calls after her. He eyes the basket once before going after her. He seems to glide across the ground, as if he had wings. Just what kind of demon is he? I run after them, stumbling as I try to keep up. I’m used to running, as Rory and I hunt for our food, but not at this speed. I’m always one step behind. It doesn’t take long before my heart starts to race and my breath comes in heavy gasps.

“No time to stop, Kain. Whenever those stupid fools come in the forest, mom’s in danger,” she says when he catches up to her. Her flaxen hair flies behind her head, showing her pointed ears. Of course she is fast to react. Her mother is the world to her, the only person worth living for.

Kaiya expertly weaves between the trees, light on her feet. The woods seem to stretch on before us. It’s like those nightmares where you keep running and running, and no matter what, you can’t seem to go any farther. The only sounds I hear are the pounding of the lupine’s feet and my own heaving breaths.