COMMANDER

May 12, 2313

I stride into the room, inwardly fuming. Why am I surrounded by incompetent morons?" Echoing from Central Command's stark gray walls and across the contrasting sleek white floors, my footsteps silence the divisional elite around the table as I approach the podium. My mind is frenzied, with thoughts always to the next essential task on our race's survival to-do list. "You've requested my presence at this meeting instead of my lieutenants coming. I...am...here," I say.

Commander Germain of BioMed struggles to get his words out between biting his nails on his chubby fingers. "Our radiation detectors went hot for a concentrated source of nuclear particles approaching our border."

By speaking, Germain has broken the illusion of power and freed them to give their fears life.

Executive Commander Warren of Spiritual chimes in. "We both possess nuclear weapons. Caretaker commissioned nuclear weapons years ago. Why are the Kavarkians not using it?"

Commander Sama quickly asks, "Could the Kavarkians be waiting to make as many weapons as we have, then fire them? Should we ask the Caretaker to fire now?" His dusty blue eyes dart from official to official, absorbing their approval.

"Caretaker, ignore the question!" I say towering over the table. Sizing up each participant in this unraveling jumble of spineless organisms in the skins of men and women. Many officers divert their eyes, but a few withstand the ferocity of my gaze. "The Survival Protocol is authorized and being executed. None of it matters now!" I grip hands to maintain composure, and continue, "The countdown is set. We need to focus on ensuring the Zerians get off this planet. Open your eyes–this planet is dead. The Caretaker will and shall do what is in its best interest, ensuring no enemies are left behind."

"We understand your passion, and we have families at risk too, but there's no need for yelling. We appreciate the time and stress you are enduring, Commander Martin," says Sama.

"That would be Executive Commander Martin." Frustration pours into my white knuckled grip on the podium. Sama retreats to the chair back. Leaning into the podium in Sama's direction. You will give me respect, "However you want to interpret my passion is on you. You focus like children on the presentation, not the facts. You fail to understand these meetings are a waste of not only my time and yours." They don't see the truth. There is nothing I can say to awaken them. I need to focus on the fact some among their ships will not be that blind and are worth sacrificing my life for. Calming myself to their questions are not personal, they do not know better. Easing the strangle hold on the podium, "This Governance is as dead as this planet. Report to your ships. I am remaining to the end. If you desire to get off this planet, I suggest you allow me to concentrate on your successful escape plan. It will mean the difference of you being entombed with me or alive on your new planet. The idea of self-preservation should interest you the most. You have your instructions. You will not summon me again!" I conclude, turning on my heels and shaking head leaving the room.

The room pauses in silence, absorbing the information as my boot steps drum the point in their ears. They let the doors of the Command Center close behind him before they dare speak. I tell Caretaker patch my biotech into Central Command's intercom. Their words trick into my right ear.

"That was a display. We can excuse Commander Martin's jagged words, insensitive demeanor, and ill expression against the Caretaker for his sacrifice. Let us end with a prayer to keep Zerians and the Caretaker safe," Sama says.

"Commander Sama, your words as always are correct and measured. Please lead us in prayer," says Germain.

I end my eavesdropping. Sama is sneaky, I wish I could prevent him from being on the same ship as Valora. Many things are out of my command now.