RIGHTS AND RING

The ring another symbol of the permanent link to expected faithful duty and a scythe severing Aeryk's dreams permanently. Such a small memento created pain for both of us.

By right of birth the ring should have been Aeryk's, but as with all things between us, he was first expected to ascend to military elite after graduation but lacked the skills to execute. His resentment for me simmers, below the surface with cutting glares and broken objects. He emptied precious mementos of their worth by plucking them, distorting them, and laying their bones on my desk. I learned not to give value to objects. The last remaining souvenir was a re-printable Scimitar schematic, so he didn't bother to destroy.

The last vestiges of familial warmth destroyed at the gifting of my ring, a piece of old Zerian jewelry passed down over generations and bearing our insignia: emblazoned with thirteen stars, two wings and the motto Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum, meaning, "If you want peace, prepare for war" in an ancient language long since dead. It was always given to the next military mind in the family, traditionally the oldest male. Once I received it, I was no longer a daughter but an officer, and Father no longer my Father but my Commander. I was deemed worthy of continuing our line in elite military command.

It's a dual edged sword, twisting the ring gave me the power to speak as if in the words of the ones who came before me. I imagined their words gave me strength as they were said in my increasingly assured, commanding voice. The ring was heavy on my hand from the expectations attached to it, but with those expectations also came the pride of accomplishing what I wanted in Engineering.

"It should be me. It would be me if you were not around!" Aeryk said, stomping into our living quarters. He headed right toward me, striking me across the face. It started six years ago, I was ten and Aeryk was fifteen-years-old.

A repeat performance of pride and pain after my success. Father rewarded me with pride, allowing me to continue in Engineering and glimpse the inner circle of Governance. Aeryk rewarded me with ever-increasing violent assaults.

Aeryk made the dings to his pride correspond to the blows on my head. I cheered at his successes. He should have been proud of his abilities, a great soldier unparalleled in his combat and strength.

Father's intervention in such things was nil. He taught survival in war and in his quarters. The ring, which escalated Aeryk's aggression and number of assaults, would soon result in my incapacitation if I couldn't stop him. I needed a plan for my brother's upcoming attack. I did what I always do: consult with Ila.

"You can't beat Aeryk in hand to hand combat. He is bigger, older, and had more training than you. I calculate a high probability of failure," said Ila.

"Thanks," taking a breath, cracking fingers and rapidly expelling, "This coming beating would not just hurt...What should I do? His blue eyes disengage when he... he... hits me." I can't bring myself to say the words, he will kill me. My eyes well but don't release a tear.

"What do I say, other than I will help you any way I can," easing in close, "Maybe my Mom or Dad can help?"

"No! Promise me, promise me you won't tell."

"Okay, I promise."

The fear of her telling is motivation to solve this problem fast. Ila likes solutions, but if I fail to create one, she will get help, "My advantages are my mind, he underestimates me, and the surprise I intend to fight back. If I add... weapons, what is the success rate?"

"Isn't it too harsh to use weapons against your brother? Are you sure you can't go to your father?"

"I'm not sure weapons are enough. But by doing nothing, I may end up... dead or virtually so in my Father's eyes. If I can't handle this, how can I handle future Governance? I will be a failure, and that will mean I don't deserve to wear this wretched ring. Then no more Engineering."

"For you to succeed, you'll need a weapon he hasn't seen, and one he can't use against you."

"We have little time. Let's meet at the Weapons Design Lab today."

"Then you can arrive late to your quarters ensuring your Father is there."

"Smart. Thank you for helping me." I want to hug her, but a soldier's code prevents it. With her help, I've got a greater chance to survive.