Chapter 18

"So... what now?" Lucas asks as we both stare down at the book that lay between us.

After revealing to him about last night, and how the Moon Goddess had revealed my future to me, he was adamant on helping me through the entire task. Not like I was complaining or anything, but I was really grateful for having him by my side. But I fear that Lucas' deep involvement in this matter might lend him in serious danger. And I wouldn't want my best friend to be put in such a situation all because of me.

"I think you should open it," Lucas' voice interrupts my thoughts and I look at him. Uncertainty is visible on his face, as he questions what he just said. "But it's up to you in the end, Al. Whatever you decide, I'll be with you every step of the way." He ruffles my hair, making it messy. It took me an hour (along with some YouTube hairstyle tutorials) to style my hair today.

"Thanks for messing up my hair," I mumble and turn over to the familiar page. Forbidden Magic was written on the page in big bold letters. My fingers move against the letters, feeling the familiar feel of the old torn pages. The lettering lights up in gold dim light, make all sorts of ancient symbols appear on the page.

"Did you see that?" I say wide eyed, looking at Lucas. He nods with the same expression on his face.

"That was... that was magical," Lucas whispers in awe, as we watch the gold light slowly fade away, leaving only the symbols on the page.

On its own accord, the pages of the book begin to turn, stopping on a page.

"The history of death and soul elementals," I read out.

"I thought there were only four elements. Fire, water, earth and air. How can death and soul be elements?"

"I don't know Lucas. Everything as gotten ten times weird since we stepped into Nirvana. In fact," I flipped through a couple more pages.
"I don't think this sort of magic have been studied for quite a while now. It's an evil, ancient forbidden magic, Lucas. Meaning that all the elementals possessing it were wiped off the face the Earth, so that no one can have such deadly power."

"I think you're right, Al. This magic was so strong and powerful, that no mere element could contain it's power. So most of them who had the power were exterminated. But why?" Lucas ran a hand through his long, messy hair in frustration.

"We're going to find out, Lucas." I flip through a couple more pages, nearly tearing one in the process.

"Here," I say and read over the introduction.

"What does it say?" Lucas comes closer and sits next to me, putting an arm around my shoulder, making himself cozy. I can feel his slow, shallow breathe in my face, slightly fanning my cheek.

"Long ago in Nirvana, all supernatural beings. Werewolves, mermaids, fairies, vampires etc. lived in harmony. Among this huge population, lived the elementals. The elementals made up half the population back then. That is why the Nirvanian ruler was also an elemental," I narrated as Lucas lay his head on my shoulder, listening attentively.

"The ruler was a ruthless powerful elemental that was blessed with the death and soul element. The death and soul element gave anyone the ability to revive the dead or take a life. It also have anyone the ability to change their destined mate and choose another. This often left the rejected mate lonely, until he or she eventually shriveled to death."

"That's harsh," Lucas says beside me, slightly nuzzling me. I nod in agreement.

"The ruler used his element to his advantage. He would revive ancient evils and he killed off his destined mate by changing his mate each and every day. Rumours say that he stole the virginity of many young girls. His deeds caused bitter rivalry between him and all the supernatural beings, except the elements. They were all on his side."

I stopped abruptly. The thought of having such a power caused shivers to run down my spine. This is a huge responsibilty that had been put on my shoulders. Such power is...

"You don't have to continue if you don't feel comfortable," Lucas takes his face in my hands, and makes me look at him.

"No. I want to do this. I want to learn more about all this nonsense that has turned my life upside down," I tell him and hold his hands, squeezing it slightly and turning back to the book.

"All the citizens of Nirvana protested, but the ruler did not stop his conniving ways. This led to a war against the elements and all the other supernaturals. Eventually this was the biggest war in history. The elements were killed and supernatural decided to part ways till today. The ruler had fled and is never to be seen again. Some say his dead., but in the end, no one really knows what has happened to him," I finish off the story.

"I can't believe this. Such cruelty towards young girls and so many people. Such people should burn in hell," Lucas says angrily. I grab hold of his hand to calm him down.

This all makes sense now. I am the only elemental with the deadliest power in Nirvana remaining.