kehlani

kehlani

"You better put your shirt on before someone walks in." I said, my concentration solely on putting the weed into the blunt wrap.

"Why?" Cesar asked, tracing his fingers along my thighs. He liked doing that whenever my legs were freshly shaved.

"Before my brother walks in—or your brother." I sat there for a minute, thinking of what would happened if my brother had busted in, seeing cesar shirtless and me in a tank top and shorts.

Cesar is my best friend, and my brother is Cesar's brother's best friend. But lately, we've crossed the best friend line.

It was less making fun of each other and more making out. All in secret. My brother would kill him if he found out.

There was a knock on the door, "Cesar, let's go." It was spooky. He opened the door, and I pulled the blanket over me.

Spooky looked at us. Cesar's shirt was in his hand and we were both frozen, waiting to see what would happen next.

"You two fucking? Really?"

"I—"

"I can't believe you're fucking his ugly ass. You can really do better Lani." Spooky started cracking up.

"You can't tell Jacob. Please." I pushed the weed tray onto my nightstand, my heart beating quickly.

"Why not?" Spooky smiled, cocking his head a bit to the side.

"He won't let me see Cesar anymore. Or the light of day, he'll keep me locked here till I graduate. One less Santos then." I shrugged, a smile forming on my face towards the end of the sentence.

"Fine. Only because you're the number one Santos baby. And I couldn't deny myself the pleasure of seeing my favorite Santos baby." He winked.

"I'm fourteen." I pulled the blanket further up on my body.

"Age is just a number, hermosa. And come on Cesar, time to go."

"Actually," Cesar said, pulling his shirt on, "I'm gonna sleep over." He looked at me, a small smile on his face.

Spooky started shuffling through his pockets, "I guess you'll need these then." He threw Cesar a roll of condoms.

I laughed, sprawling myself out onto my queen sized bed. Cesar hovered over me and peppered small kisses over my face.

"You think we gotta worry about your brother?" I asked, propping myself with my elbows.

Cesar moved so we were laying next to each other, and I placed my head on his chest.

"No, not yet at least. But I just don't understand why you won't let me claim you."

I sighed, "Because, Jacob. He doesn't trust me around guys. Thinks I'm gonna get pregnant and have to stay in Freeridge forever.

And, the crew. You know Ruby has a crush on me. I couldn't hurt his little heart. I want you to claim me, but when things start to figure out."

I played with his fingers, listening to him breath in and out. I felt bad saying what I had said, but it was the truth. Things were just too complicated.

"You know, I'm gonna claim you sooner or later. Steal you one of those expensive ass promise rings. Then we'll get out of Freeridge together."

I turned to look at him, "Are you saying that cause you really mean it, or are you just trying to get in my pants, Diaz?"

"Both?"

I softly laughed, straddling him. Our foreheads touched, and for a second we stood there, looking into each other's eyes before I placed my lips on his.

Cesar's hands played with the band of my shorts. It gave me a cool rush when his fingers would brush against certain spots.

"Kehlani!" Jacob yelled from the other side of the door. I quickly pushed myself off of Cesar, and grabbed the weed tray to make myself look busy.

"What?" I shouted back.

"I'm going to the store, want anything?"

"Uh, some Sabritones. And beef jerky, you know what kind. And a d-pep." I looked at Cesar, seeing if he wanted anything.

'hot cheetos.' He mouthed. I nodded.

"And some hot Cheetos. And a Sprite." I added, my fingers mindlessly rubbing against the ends of the blunt wrap.

"Want a whole buffet while you're at it fat ass?" Jacob joked. I heard his heavy foot steps walk down the hallway, and I pulled the hot blanket off of me.

I continued to roll the blunt, which took more time than I expected. All these distractions were postponing my smoke sesh.

"Are you ready for school? I mean, shit, we're actually starting highschool in five days." Cesar shook his head.

"Yeah, it's crazy. You think shits gonna be different?"

"No, same frantic Jamal and talkative Ruby."

"And same Monse having a thing for you." I mumbled before licking the blunt closed.

"Kehlani."

"She likes you, Cesar. You can't expect me not to be a little jealous." I held the blunt above my lighter, waving the lighter back and forth to seal it.

"This wouldn't be a problem if you'd just let me claim you." He smiled, wrapping his arms around me.

I rolled my eyes, "You know I want you to. Maybe."

"Better let me claim you before Oscar tries to." Cesar laughed.

"I'd literally shoot him. Now let's go outside, the blunts ready." I put on some sweatpants and one of Cesar's old hoodies he gave me.

We walked out to the front yard, where Jacob and I had made a little smoke spot. Complete with couches, blankets, and a small fire pit.

I made myself comfortable, laying my legs on top of Cesar. I lit the tip of the blunt and inhaled the indica leaves.

"You know, I'm less worried about school and more worried about being initiated into the Santos." I admitted.

"At least they don't jump you in. I still got bruises on my stomach." Cesar lifted up his shirt, showing the multicolored marks.

"Yeah, but those make you look hot. I'm gonna have to be a Santos baby though. Like a toy to all the guys till I get claimed—and don't bring claiming up anymore." I pointed, passing him the backwood.

Maybe I was being a little selfish with the whole claiming thing. I just didn't want the crew to break up. They make me feel like I have more worth than just being a Santos.

I looked at his face. His eyebrows were furrowed, which I instantly knew he was deep in thought. Cesar exhaled the smoke, only to bring it back in once more.

"I just wanna know why." He shrugged.

"What do you think would happen? Ruby will push his crush on me to the side? And Monse too. It'll hurt them. Maybe when the time is right."

"Well, when the hell will it be the right time? Tell me, K. Cause I don't want to wait forever."