kehlani

Cesar put the key in the ignition, turning the car on. I turned up the radio, a little excited that we had successfully completed the mission. I felt the rush of adrenaline ignite in my body.

We drove with the windows down, the warmth of Los Angeles embracing us. The sun had come into it's golden hour, and I couldn't help but stick my head out of the window.

I pulled myself halfway out the window, my legs bent and resting on the door of the car. A bump in the road cause me to lurk forward, and I felt Cesar's hand grasp onto the loophole of my shorts.

"Be careful, you're gonna accidentally get yourself killed." He chuckled. I sat back in my seat, a bit shaken up.

Cesar stopped the car by a park, one I wasn't that much familiar with. The Santos usually stayed on our side of town, and this part was neutral. Which meant free game.

He got out of the car, and I hesitantly followed him. Cesar walked to the swings, and sat down while he waited for me to catch up. I sat down, leaning my head on the chain.

The park was empty, most likely because no parent wanted their kids playing where gang members would hang out.

"So, this is our life now?" Cesar sighed, and I turned to look at him.

"I guess so." I responded, my hand held tight on the swing's handle. I didn't really know what else to say.

"You like it?" He asked, his eyebrow moving up a bit.

"I—I don't know Cesar. What fourteen year old wants to be in a gang?" I shook my head. I didn't know what to feel.

"Four more years, and we can be out of here. Move somewhere where we don't have to look over our shoulders. We won't have to hear gunshots every night. Some place beautiful."

"You think our brothers would be okay with that?" The two boys always lingered in my mind, quite frankly because they scared me.

"Who gives a shit. The can't tell us what we do for the rest of our lives."

"You're—"

"Aye yo, are those Santos?" We heard someone shout. We turned around, and there running across the grass were three Prophets.

So much for having a relaxing evening at the park.

"Run, Lani." The two of us took off running to the car, the Prophets only a few yards behind us. I opened the passenger door, shoving myself inside before locking my door.

Cesar pushed the gas pedal and we sped off. I looked back through the window, they were running after us. The one in the white tee started digging through his pockets.

"Duck down!" I shouted, shots being fired. I looked on my seat for the gun Oscar gave me. I fumbled while picking it up.

I cocked it quickly, and put my head out of the window. I shot blindly, not knowing where I hit. The trio stopped in their tracks. The shortest of them fell to the ground.

His 501 jeans started to obtain a large dark spot. I shot him in his thigh, I actually shot someone. I turned around, breathing heavily.

"You okay?" Cesar asked, and I could tell he was feeling just as fucked up as I was. I nodded in response. I couldn't put together any words.

We slowly pulled up to the spot the car was previously parked. I unbuckled my seat belt and headed straight for inside. As soon as I barged in Jacob and Oscar looked at me.

"I need a fucking drink." I slumped down in the chair. I folded my arms and rested my head on top of them. I felt queasy.

"What the hell happened to you?" Jacob asked. I looked over at him and scowled. I just simply wasn't in the mood to explain what happened, I was just too sober.

Oscar handed me a modelo, and I gladly sipped it. After a couple of modelos, I had calmed down. Cesar finally came in after sometime, and he headed straight for his usual seat.

"How was the drop off?" Oscar asked him as soon as he was seated.

"It was a bit more than what I expected." Cesar replied, giving me a glance.

"It couldn't have been that bad."

"I shot someone." I hiccupped. Maybe drinking wasn't that good of an idea.

"You shot someone?" Both Oscar and Jacob spoke. Their voices were mixed with surprise and a hint of proud.

"But you did give me a gun." I told them, pointing out the fact.

"Yeah, but I didn't really think you were gonna shoot somebody." Oscar exasperated.

"Well guess what," I slurred, "I shot a Prophet in the thigh."

"I don't know if I should be proud or worried." Jacob said, his voice unbalanced.

"You know what, I'm gonna take Kehlani to my room, let her sleep this off." Cesar said, grabbing me by the forearm.

I used his body for support. How the hell did I get drunk off of those modelos? Cesar opened his bedroom door and sat me down on his bed.

"You shouldn't have drank all those modelos." He shook his head.

"What, they were just beer."

"You dumb fuck." He chuckled.

"What?"

"Those weren't just beers."

"They weren't?" Jesus fuck I was drugged, wasn't I? I got Bill fucking Cosbyed.

"No, they have vodka and Hennessy. Oscar mixes them together. Gives you the buzz without having to drink as much."

I should have known, I didn't hear Oscar popping off the caps when he brought them to me. They must've just been sitting in the fridge.

"Your brothers an asshole for not telling me." I curled myself up into a ball, my body in a buzzing state.

Cesar snaked his way on to the bed and wrapped his arms around me. I gave him a light little kiss on his nose.

"I hope you're not hung over, we have orientation tomorrow." He informed me. My eyes widened.

Tomorrow would be the first day I've seen the crew since eighth grade and I was going to be hung over.