*there's drug use in this chapter so just a heads up

cesar.

Summer was coming to an end. Which I was somewhat glad for. I mean, no more Santos 24/7. But we were starting high school, which was different. Very different.

I can't fuck up. Especially if I want to get out of here. Become something instead of being another link in the Santos chain. I was smart—kinda. I mean, if I apply myself and actually engage, then I'm smart.
But if I don't really want to do it, then I don't. I fail. But I can't afford to fail. I actually have to stay on top of everything.

I walked to the bathroom, it was getting late and I felt dirty. I turned on the shower, checking the temperature every few seconds. When it was warm enough I hopped in.

It felt good, it was cold enough to cool off but warm enough I wasn't freezing. I ran my fingers through my wet hair to let the follicles soak up the water. I grabbed the shampoo and squirted some in my palm.

I slowly lathered it in. My muscles were sore from the constant running away from authorities. What a fucking rebel. The bathroom door creaked—even though I could've sworn I closed it.

"Oscar, get the fuck out." This wouldn't be the first he came in the bathroom to shit and stink up the entire bathroom. It was his idea of some sick joke.

"Not Oscar." It was fucking Kehlani. I pulled back the curtain, seeing her sat on the toilet right on the other side. Her legs were crossed together as she looked up right back at me. Water droplets splattered on the tile.

"What are you doing in here?!" If Kehlani was here that meant Jacob was here too. And I'd be damned if he walked into the oh so ever unlocking bathroom to see me naked with his sister. That's a simple death wish.

"Got bored sitting on the couch alone." I could hear her playing with her jacket zipper as I washed the suds out of my hair.

"What about Jacob and Oscar?"

"Left to the bodega a few blocks down. Went to get some four lokos, which means they're getting fucked up and I'm sleeping over. Like usual." This happened quite a lot, they would get drinks and get blacked out drunk.

"Soon their livers won't be able to function." I chuckled. Conditioner was next. I tried to wash all the hair pomade out of my greasy hair.

"Like Frank from Shameless." She added. Shameless was our show. We'd always meet up at her house, I bring the snacks she brings the weed. I give her my comfiest hoodie she gives me her softest blanket. It was a Thursday night tradition.

"Hey, don't you think Jacob kinda looks like that Carl kid?" I questioned. There was a resemblance between the two. Both of them are even drug dealers.

"Psh, no way. Carl's cute, Jacob's ugly. Simple." I could still hear her playing with her zipper. I finished washing the soap off of my body, almost ready to get out.

"You must be fucking blind." I let myself stand under the running water, appreciating the warmth it gave me.

"That I am Diaz." She pointed out.

"Oh yeah, I forgot you wore glasses. Nerd." Kehlani hadn't wore her glasses in so long I actually forgot she needed them.

"Well I'm sorry I can't fucking see you twat."

"All jokes aside you gotta get out."

"Why?"

"Uh, cause I need to dry off?" I told her in an obvious tone.

"Cesar. I've seen you naked plenty of times. It's not like it's gonna be any different."

"Well, I gotta dry off. So it's kinda different." I quickly turned off the shower head, the bathroom air a bit humid from my lukewarm shower.

"I've always wondered how guys dry their dicks. Do they wrap it with the towel and swaddle it? Do they just wipe it down? Do they let it air dry? Always been so curious."

Now this was one of the reasons I was so in love with her. She's just this out of the box person. So unique. Intricate. Different. Kehlani was a fucking weirdo, but in a way where she just makes you laugh and want to be around her at all times.

"You're fucking dumb. Just get out."

"Alright, alright." She finally gave in, putting her hands up as she hopped off of the toilet seat.

"And I pat it down." I mumbled.

"Huh?" She turned around, smiling. Sometimes I really hated her ass.

"I said I pat it down. The towel is too rough and my dicks sensitive. But every guy is different." I exposed, looking down at the off white bathroom tiles. I'd hate if this became awkward—but what other way would this go?

Kehlani started cracking up. Leaving me hiding in shame behind the shower curtain. I grabbed my towel from the rack and started drying myself off, waiting for her to leave. I sighed loud, just to tell her to leave.

"Alright, Alright. I get it. I'll leave." She was out of breath. Still shaking from the fit of laughter, she quickly opened and closed the door. And finally I was here by my lonesome.

I quickly dried off, tossing some shorts and a shirt on. Tossing away my clothes into the laundry basket, I grabbed a q-tip and cleaned my ears. If there was one thing I absolutely hated it would be having water in my ears. The bathroom was always stocked with 1000 pack boxes of q-tips.

"Lani?" I opened my bedroom door. She sat there, her small rolling tray in her lap as she packed weed into the Dutch wrap. It was Berry–her favorite. I rolled myself onto the bed.

"Since I knew they were gonna get fucked up." She responded, tucking the wrap into itself. Another Cehlani tradition was getting as high as possible whenever our brothers would do this.

I grabbed her cookies backpack, which I was sure had more weed paraphernalia inside. I unzipped it, and sure enough I was right. Backwoods, Dutchs, Zig Zags, Swishers. Joint papers. Two pipes. A small dab rig. Edibles. And that was just the first pocket. I knew she had a bounty of weed and wax in the second one, I had no need to check. It was just a fact.

I pulled out the sour gummy worms. They were sativa, which meant tonight was going to be eventful. I put some in Kehlani's mouth, then had some myself. A few minutes later she sealed the blunt.

"Are you ready to get high as fuck?"