Diving Headfirst

We arrive in New York, the centrepiece of this relationship. 

"We met in America, and she's very nice."

- Harry on Taylor 

It's common knowledge that they spent a majority of their relationship in New York, from the heavily publicised date in New York, to award shows and countless hotels. 

Welcome To New York by T.S is almost an introduction to their romance, the lyrics describe the city yes, but it also perfectly describes the feeling of being in a new relationship, when everything is exciting and hopeful, but with a tinge of uncertainty. 

Walkin' through a crowd, the village is a glow
Kaleidoscope of loud heartbeats under coats
Everybody here wanted somethin' more
Searchin' for a sound we hadn't heard before  

The city is alive and bright, there's hope and a certain excitement that comes with something new. New York becomes a metaphor that signifies the start of a relationship. 

But moving to a new city isn't easy, especially a big one like New York, and there's tension and apprehension that comes with it. I think it's exactly what they felt on their official first date at Central Park. Imagine being young and really liking someone, nervous about your date and how you'll come across. Now imagine dealing with the whole world watching and cameras in your face while you try to deliver and try your best to be composed. This relationship didn't start normally, there was immediately a ton of pressure put on it, it was pulled apart and scrutinised worldwide. New York isn't just any city, it has high expectations and standards it has to uphold, just like how the world expected a certain something of Haylor, because they were high-profile and entertainment for a huge fan base. 

New York is important. 

"I think: Relationships are hard, at any age," he said. "And adding in that you don't really understand exactly how it works when you're 18, trying to navigate all that stuff didn't make it easier."

''I mean, you're a little bit awkward to begin with. You're on a date with someone you really like. It should be that simple, right?"

"It was a learning experience for sure. But at the heart of it – I just wanted it to be a normal date.

- Harry on Taylor

 'I write from my experiences; everyone does that.'  

- Harry 

And that's important and I cannot stress it enough. Taylor was widely known from the start to document her life through songs, but Harry confirming that his solo album is personal is important, it provides a more concrete proof. Whereas before with One Direction it was harder, as the other boys helped in the writing process and then it was further edited by the other songwriters and producers. This debut album by him is unfiltered and raw for the first time. And that's how we come to Ever Since New York by H.S, a mirroring title to Swift's. However I want to go chronologically, it makes it all the more clearer. So we'll come back to it.