Dust yourself off

Timing is a funny thing

Maybe if I got my timing right

I wouldn't end up alone

"Clean" I wrote as I was walking out of Liberty in London. Someone I used to date— it hit me that I'd been in the same city as him for two weeks and I hadn't thought about it. When it did hit me, it was like, 'Oh, I hope he's doing well'. And nothing else. And you know how it is when you're going through heartbreak. A heartbroken person is unlike any other person. Their time moves at a completely...

When I was drowning, that's when I could finally breathe

Clean, being the last song on 1989, is Taylor getting over the breakup. It's about embracing the pain, the turmoil and being with it because that's the only way you'll come out of it, if you're honest with yourself and what you're feeling. However she still acknowledges it was powerful and made her feel something. She knows that it's one of those relationships you don't ever forget.

This love left a permanent mark

I'll never forget you as long as I live

Just because you're clean doesn't mean you don't miss it

In fact, she suggests, she hasn't dated at all since breaking up with One Direction singer Harry Styles more than a year and a half ago. "Like, have not gone on a date," she says. "People are going to feel sorry for me when you write that. But it's true."

- Taylor for Rolling Stone

That's the first relationship that she took such a long break from, because it was a special one, something not easy to recover from. It was powerful, there is no denying it. It affected them both so deeply so when people say it was PR I just-

Anyway, so Adam and Taylor start dating in 2015, and these lyrics are what inspired that. 

  I saw your friend that you know from work

Same industry, they're bound to have met at some stage right? 

I see you gave him my old T-shirt

More of what was once mine  

Now this might not mean that he physically wears his t-shirt but owns something that used to be his. A possession or something special that Taylor and Harry shared together. He feels robbed because even though they're not together anymore, he still feels possessive of her, and now she 'belongs' to Adam.