Chapter Fifty-One

A hum of silence hung over the capital city. Prince Jing Yi's rebellion has been quelled and peace returned to the citizens. For the officials that was not the case, a prince has been imprisoned and another prince found.

Although no official word has passed, for those who witnessed the shocking scene between the Emperor and Feng Huang was drawing their own conclusions.

The following day court officials were surprised to see the Emperor after last night ordeal. Court was not called to be canceled but the officials still thought the Emperor would not appear.

Sitting arrogantly in his gold in-layed sandalwood throne, the Emperor eyed the audience like a tiger eyeing its prey. His eyes flicked over to General Cong and Prince Jing Yi who bound was kneeling in front of the throne.

Few official were missing in today's court session. Some were killed during the rebellion and others feared attending. Other officials were currently kneeling behind General Cong and Jing Yi as instigators of the rebellion and the rest stood along the walls to prevent drawing the ire of the Emperor to themselves.

"It seems that this Father Emperor hasn't taught his son properly."

Jing Yi stared at his father with a face full of hatred. "What's father? A father wouldn't lock his son up."

The Emperor laughs scornfully. "If you weren't my son, you'd be dead already. This Emperor wants to know the reason behind your treachery. Have I done something to make my ministers dissatisfied?" At the question he turned to his officials who were standing by the court room walls.

The ministers of the court were so frightened of the Emperor that they could only tremble as they heard him speak. The Emperor turned his eyes back towards his son and General Cong when it seemed he wouldn't receive an answer.

"What part do you play in this General?" The Emperor asked. General Cong has been strangely quiet during the proceedings.

Many wondered the same thing. From what they've seen last night, the General came during the ending of the rebellion. He neither drew a weapon or sought to help Prince Jing Yi during the rebellion. No one was quite sure why the Emperor arrested the General.

"I played no part in Prince Jing Yi's rebellion Your Majesty. This subject was just as surprised by last night''s action."

The General spoke the truth of his heart. Whenever he or Jing Yi met in the past, the prince had not once mention rebelling against the throne. He came to the palace to get justice for him son, but seeing the Emperor's feelings toward Feng Huang last night he knew it was all for naught.

"Hmph." The Emperor beckons the eunuch by his side who handed the Emperor an object.

The Emperor fiddled with the object in his hand before presenting it for the whole court to see. "Then, what is this?"

In the Emperor's hand was the tiger seal. Made up of bamboo, wood and gild, the tiger seal came in the form of a tiger and was issued to the General nearly three years ago for his duty and loyalty to the country. The tiger seal is used to dispatch and command part of the imperial army.

General Cong paled, where did the tiger seal came from? He was sure he locked it away. Not even him dared to use the tiger seal. General Cong had seen the tiger as a form of test and bondage that the Emperor had placed on him. He had the power to command a quarter of the army but did he dared to?

"The Second Prince used this seal to command my soldiers to act as thieves and assassins during the rebellion. He commanded my soldiers to kill their Emperor. Its lucky not all of my soldiers are traitors."

"Your Majesty?" General Cong said. " This servant has no idea where that seal came from. The Second Prince must have stolen it."

"You bastard!" Jing Yi shouted. "You sent the seal to me."

"I never sent to you. Why would I?"

Jing Yi tried to get up aim for the aim general beside but was stopped by an imperial guard. The Emperor paid no heed to their bickering and a figure was thrown to the ground in front of both of them.

"Cong Shu Lan!"

The General instantly knew what happened and yelled at his daughter. "You fool. You unfilial daughter. Why did you kill your family."

General Cong knew there was no way getting out of this. Now that a Cong has played a part in the rebellion, his entire family might be killed.

"Your Majesty, please spare this one's family." General Cong kowtowed hitting his forehead into the court's floors. "Please spare my concubine children. They played no part in this."

If he could ensure that the Cong bloodline lives on, General Cong would gladly due. The Second Prince pieced together what happened and stayed quiet, His life, after all is not in his hands.

"The Emperor stood ordering in a low, deep voice. "The Second Prince and his associated dared to entice a rebellion to commit regicide. He and all those involved are sentenced to be hanged. All families are demoted to commoners and exiled from the capital. All families shall forfeit half of their wealth."

You can say that at least all the rebels are glad, at least their children lives. Some officials weren't happy. They pleaded for mercy until guards came covered their mouths and dragged them off.

"Father, you can't." Jing Yi's said as reality sets in. He thought he would be spared because he was the prince. "I am your son."

"And for that reason, you must die." The Emperor said. "No son of mine should point his sword to my neck."

The Emperor looked at the interior of the court hall and waved his hand. "Dismiss."

The Emperor left the court with his second son screaming at his back.

The perpetrators of the rebellion were hanged the very next day. Prince Jing Yi along with General Cong and Cong Shu Lan were the first to be hanged. Many hissed at the harsh punishment but others respected and sympathized with the Emperor. It must pain his heart to know that one's son wanted to kill you and that you have to kill that son.

General Cong and Cong Shu Lan were buried by the remaining Congs and Jing Yi, surprisingly was buried by the Emperor. Many rumors spread at the reason but the most common one was that the Emperor was just doing his fatherly duties.

A week after the rebellion, the capital entered into a festive mood. Performers danced and beat drums, cheers ran loud as the capital of Lonia celebrated the homecoming of the imperial army from the eastern border.

First Prince Jing Long sat up on a black and white stallion garbed in black and hold armour. He and General Wang was the star of the show. Jing Long on the other hand frowned. He heard that Feng Huang's injured and all he wanted to do was just race to the palace.

"Brother, I'm back."

Second Wife is on his last four to five chapters and I want to just thank everyone for making this journey with me. I won't go all sappy because its not done yet. I am hoping to finish Second Wife by the end of May and start my new book by June or mid June. I want to thank all of you who voted, comment and followed me. I don't reply not because I don't want to but because I've been very busy these past few weeks.