Giant Cuttlefish

This post was inspired by my discussion with Jinnis

I am lucky enough to live within a four hour drive of the Spencer Gulf Marine Park, the breeding grounds for our Australian Giant cuttlefish

I am lucky enough to live within a four hour drive of the Spencer Gulf Marine Park, the breeding grounds for our Australian Giant cuttlefish. Naturally, I've never been. However...

These creatures are one of the largest varieties in the world and grow up to 60cm and weigh around 5 kg. (Nowhere near as large as the giant squid, you'll notice!!)

Every winter (May, Jun and July) thousands congregate at the top of the gulf to mate. As a result of a dramatic reduction in numbers in 2013 (only 13K) season closures were introduced. The introduction of Marine Parks (now under threat by the new conservative government) has helped bring the numbers back to a record 127K in 2017 - the third highest number on record.

Like octopuses, cuttlefish have blue blood and three hearts.

Cuttlefish can change their colouring to camouflage with their surroundings, but during mating season, the males put on an amazing display of colour changing to attract the females. Rather unfortunately, males can only reproduce once, and the females also die shortly after their eggs hatch.

Luckily humans don't take after that particular branch of life!

If you'd like to learn more, check out the External Link to recent article with wonderful photos.