Chapter 12

On Saturday, the day after Allison had visited Tabitha in the hospital, the foundation received a plea from the family for funds.

"Her mother says a new European treatment could do her good, but we don't fund experiments." The foundation chair shook his head. "I'm sorry to say this Allison, but you should probably start looking for a new kid to supervise."

She had been prepared for that, but she hasn't expected the pleas for funds.

"They think money could help?"

"Well the body naturally heals with time, and this European supplement claims it can accelerate that process. But life support is expensive, and the treatment isn't cheap...Look, it probably wouldn't help anyways."

Allison thought about how much she spent on gymnastics lessons and supplies every month. It made her feel guilty.

"How much do they need?" She asked. Maybe she could cut down on gym hours, or wear an old leotard.

"The cash prize from that ballet thing you did with Tabitha will hold them until the end of the week, but then they'll need a lot more."

Anastasia knew she spent way too much on gymnastics, but when the director told her how much Tabithas family needed, she knew that the money from gymnastics wouldn't be enough for long. Then, she realized something.

"The competition had a cash prize?"

The director nodded distractedly. "Almost all of them do."

Allison turned away from the director, and walked down the hallway. She had part of an idea, but it would require a lot of work and a lot of training for a sport she had never done before. Not to mention, she would have to give up gymnastics, and that didn't seem plausible for her.

Despite that, she pulled the business card out of her pocket and made a phone call.

"Hello?" A woman's voice answered.

"Hey, this is Allison."

"From the ballet competition? The coaches will want to speak with you directly. One moment please..."

The woman had the courtesy to put on hold music, and Allison tried to be patient as the coaches were located. She didn't mind the waiting, but the implications of what she was about to do made her stomach do flips.

She was going to give up gymnastics.

"Hello Allison, it's good to hear from you. Have you reconsidered our offer?"

"I have, but I have terms."

A long pause on the other end. "Terms?"

"Yes. I want entrance to minor tournaments, paid for by you. I want full access to the prize money, and I want a training space I can use whenever I need it."

"And what would we get from agreeing to those terms?"

"You would get me."

"You?"

"Yes. You would get me at my most dedicated, my most passionate, my most involved. No distractions--not even gymnastics."

There was a long pause. Allison hoped they were taking her seriously. She had done the math, and if she used her gymnastics money to pay Tabithas medical bills instead, and then supplemented it with prize money from ballet competitions, she might be able to keep the girl alive. Or at least pay for it to be done.

The woman came back on the line. "I think it can be arranged for us to meet your terms."

"Excellent. I can start Tomorrow."

Allison knew she should have waited for more information, but she hung up the phone. Her hands were sweating, and she wiped them on her sweats.

She took a deep breath and dialed a familiar number. It was time to really commit to her plan.

"Hey, Allison, what's up? Isn't this your foundation time?"

"Yeah it is Paul."

Paul worked the front desk, or at least he had for the last five years. He was a college kid, and in middle school Allison had sat up on the desk her worked at, twirling her hair and giggling. He had never taken interest, but she could easily call them friends now.

"So what can I do for ya, little sis?"

"You have access to my files, right?" She asked, holding the phone between her shoulder and her ear so she could pick at her nails.

"Yeah why?"

"I need you to pull my subscription form."

She could hear shuffling papers on the other end of the line before he responded. "Okay, I've got it. What's up?"

"Can you cancel my subscription, starting at the end of the month?"

Silence on the other end of the line.

"Are you there?" Allison asked after a few too many moments of silence.

"Yeah yeah. I'm just having trouble processing...you aren't someone I would have expected to pull your subscription. "

"Well...curcumstances arose." Allison's hands were shaking. She hated the idea of quitting gymnastics. It had been her life for so long.

"What kind of circumstances?" Paul asked. "Is everything all right?"

Allison closed her fists to stop them from shaking.

"Everything is fine."