Teardrop

A/N: As promised, here is the next chapter early. I originally wanted to get it up yesterday but I completely forgot lmao. I didn't realize this chapter was so short, it's almost an interlude I suppose- so I will be posting the next chapter tomorrow to try and make up for it. Next chapter will be another chapter like the last and again, I will update early to make up to some of you who may loathe these chapters. Again, so sorry this is so short- I mass uploaded them into the doc manager all at once and failed to check. Anyway, enjoy :)

"Have you told Steve?" Bucky asked Wanda and she shook her head.

"Do you remember her consciously?"

He leaned back, "No, I can recall some of the dreams sometimes. I've been getting them since SHIELD fell."

He blew out a breath, "I can... remember her presence- a few flashes of her touch, the feeling of her hand running through my hair."

"Do you think you were mated?"

He stilled at her question and narrowed his eyes her, "I'm mated to Steve."

Wanda rolled her eyes, "Steve is a beta. You're an alpha. On the file it said she was an omega."

Bucky's lips fell into a taunt line.

Wanda went on, "The others haven't picked up on it, but most of them are betas, they wouldn't pick up on it."

"And you can?"

"Yes, I was once an omega. They they started performing the experiments and... now- now, I'm not. Not in the way that counts. But I still have my sense of smell."

Bucky sighed, "I... can't sense her. It's like she's just... gone. Not dead, just gone."

They went silent.

"I've been looking for her since I joined up with the team." Wanda confessed.

"Why?"

"When I originally got a hold on her file- well, when Pietro got a hold of it- it said she was an experiment too. That she had survived everything they did to her. I couldn't read English at the time but it was a long list. Pietro could get by on English though, so he read me the basics. Most of the list was made up of medical jargon, so neither of us could really tell about that."

Wanda glanced back at him, not noticing her gaze had travelled to the floor. "The file said she wasn't human- that she couldn't die. They called her a demon."

"She wasn't." He interrupted, "I don't think... But-"

He went silent and for a moment they were quiet.

He looked up at her, "I don't think you'll be able to break the protocol HYDRA fried into me- but... I don't feel good about leaving her with them if she still is."

You want me to look into your mind?"

"I don't want you to, no. But if she was there she'd know more, and we could all use more."

They both left it unspoken that he was doing it for another reason too.

After all, who would willingly leave their mate alone?